How's my first drum mix?

msblaze

I just got my mixer today in teh mail :D (Eurorack mx802a) and i recorded my first drum mix witha little paning and all taht good stuff, now before you post please relize 1. i useda vocal mic on the kick and some shure sm57 looking thing (made by pioneer)for an overhead so, yeh 2 mics.

so tell me what ya think myspace mp3 link

click on new mixer still vocal mics mp3 to listen

EDIT: These drums are for screamo/punk/emo band nota jazz band hehe

Last edited:
Creamyapples1 said:
Yeah, new mics, good start though!

yeh, i was thinking about getting the old version of the sm57 to record, i have a friend that wants to sell me 6 of them for a pretty good price. would taht be a good way to go?

the model is Shure 515

i meant clipping, as in your mics are so hot that its distorting the signal....invest in an sm57 and some good overheads, do some searches

Yeah good mics.....needed

57's are cool if you can get a good price on 6. I was listening to bad old solo....that snare rocks. It's got just the right ring. How did you record that? You really need to watch levels when you're tracking. What are you using computer or analog recording. Digital doesn't like to be pushed in the red. Comes out sounding distorted. Start with the levels...watch them try to EQ a little. They sound muffled and lifeless, but it's a start. Definitely some good mics. Start with a kick, snare, and a couple overheads and see what happens. It'll come by trial and error. Good Luck!!

elmerfunk said:
57's are cool if you can get a good price on 6. I was listening to bad old solo....that snare rocks. It's got just the right ring. How did you record that? You really need to watch levels when you're tracking. What are you using computer or analog recording. Digital doesn't like to be pushed in the red. Comes out sounding distorted. Start with the levels...watch them try to EQ a little. They sound muffled and lifeless, but it's a start. Definitely some good mics. Start with a kick, snare, and a couple overheads and see what happens. It'll come by trial and error. Good Luck!!

well first off they are the mic made before the sm57 but they look almost the same. i am using a computer to track. and for the old bad solo i just used a dynamic mic over the snare like 3 1/2 above it.

What else did you use....

to record the 'bad old solo' that's not just one mic over the snare picking up the whole kit is it? Anyway if you are tracking on a computer watch the levels don't run them too hot....that's what Bigsnake00 was talking about. When you run them too hot they clip/distort/overload. I was looking at the mx802 to see if there was a clip light on the input. Looks like there isn't, but watch the meters. If they're getting into the red you've got problems. If you look at the meters you'll see the top red led says clip. Clip is no good. Grab the input gain on the channel and cut it back until the meter is running about 0 or +2. Watch your levels into the computer too. Don't overdrive the inputs there either. If you do that your mix should clean up nice. Add a little EQ and see how it goes. I really like that snare sound in 'bad old solo'. What kind of snare is it? Just wondering Good Luck!!

elmerfunk said:
to record the 'bad old solo' that's not just one mic over the snare picking up the whole kit is it? Anyway if you are tracking on a computer watch the levels don't run them too hot....that's what Bigsnake00 was talking about. When you run them too hot they clip/distort/overload. I was looking at the mx802 to see if there was a clip light on the input. Looks like there isn't, but watch the meters. If they're getting into the red you've got problems. If you look at the meters you'll see the top red led says clip. Clip is no good. Grab the input gain on the channel and cut it back until the meter is running about 0 or +2. Watch your levels into the computer too. Don't overdrive the inputs there either. If you do that your mix should clean up nice. Add a little EQ and see how it goes. I really like that snare sound in 'bad old solo'. What kind of snare is it? Just wondering Good Luck!!

no its also a dynamic on the kick, but thats before my mixer so it was just through a splitter and tehm in my computer.

BTW: The snare is a PDP Piccolo

I for one fucking love it!!! BUT, is it what you want it to sound like? If you're looking for that "polished", professional or even semi-professional sound you've got a LONG way to go. Though I like the feel and sound, I would check the clipping. Its pretty noticable.

You can hear whats going on (playing wise), the timing is all over the place, but you don't hear a lot of that nowadays. I'd like to hear the finished song.
Beejesus man.

rory said:
I for one fucking love it!!! BUT, is it what you want it to sound like? If you're looking for that "polished", professional or even semi-professional sound you've got a LONG way to go. Though I like the feel and sound, I would check the clipping. Its pretty noticable.

You can hear whats going on (playing wise), the timing is all over the place, but you don't hear a lot of that nowadays. I'd like to hear the finished song.
Beejesus man.

haha man, i was just messin around, i play punk/screamo music...but the levels are turned down should i just use the amplify/fade function in adobe audition and fade it down smaller??

EDIT: Its pretty much the sound i'm going for....somewhat, but when i get the new mics it will be better..

DuoToneBand said:
terrible playing...honestly, that is just plain bad!!!

drums sound pretty bad too!

sry man

thanx. the playing is suppose to sound somewhat like taht have you ever even heard screamo music??

msblaze said:
thanx. the playing is suppose to sound somewhat like taht have you ever even heard screamo music??

Yeah, I call it shit though. But seriously if its what your'e going for then thats cool. BTW I've switched to 57's on all toms and snare, and love it.

Bad. Both playing and recording. I'd think it would make more since to get a couple mics that aren't rubbish before getting a mixer. What's the point of having a mixer when you could just record with the mic that came with your comp and get the same quality?

I don't mean to be a prick, but honostly the whole emo/screamo/crap/sheep thing your into kind of makes me a bigger prick, sorry.

Back