How's my drum sound?

drummerboy_04AP

Hey all,

I've just started recording some drum tracks for an album. Im doing all of the recording myself (*edit* don't wanna take credit for the whole song, which it sounded like I was doing. Im just playing the drums for this album) at my house, and Im curious to see what you think of the sound Im getting.

Here's the first song Im recording:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=25629

I know the drums arent tight yet, thats not what this is about. Im just wondering what youre thoughts are on the actual sound of the drums.

Last edited:
Wow that's tough to listen to. You've got some serious digital distortion going on there.

The drums....meh. Did you close mic anything? Sounds like it's all overheads. Sounds like the toms might be close micd, and clipping, but the kick and snare are MIA.

ah shit, i was at school when I posted the link so I didnt get a chance to listen to it. Im pretty sure all that distortion came when converting it to .mp3...

I went with a recorder man-esque set up, two over heads, kick, and snare, but the snare was clipping so i just omitted it.

If i give it another go today Ill post the results, thanks for the reply!

Get your mic positioning and gain staging right, and use the close tracks. You're gonna need them for a song like this.

I just went back and listened to the original file i exported from Cubase, and I wish I knew how to upload that version, because there's no distortion in it...

I just re-set up my mics today, gonna give it another crack tomorrow, will post results.

I just went back and listened to the original file i exported from Cubase, and I wish I knew how to upload that version, because there's no distortion in it...

I just re-set up my mics today, gonna give it another crack tomorrow, will post results.

Because of how you mixed the drums and set up your mics it has a very "campy" (not the best of the mid 60's) "Brit Invasion" sound. Splashy and nowhere near enough sound of drums, just all cymbals and washy cymbals at that. That sound doesn't work with the kind of music you were playing.

Sound Wise: (Like previously stated) Check your mics and their position. Look into a compressor; however don't just add one thinking it will fix everything. Learning to use a compressor, is like learning to play an instrument.

On a side note. . . what shape is your kit in? Do a fine tune maintenance to get rid of anything that sucks. It will be amplified when recording. Rattling wing-nuts, a cymbal that "doesn't need a felt", a squeaking bass pedal, will be amplified.

Rhythm Wise: Make sure everyone on the track has the same click. If, as a drummer you can't hear/play the click, then everything goes out the window. If you decide to over-dub, the drum track has to be more than solid.

-Z

Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. Here's the latest mix.

(I dont have any control over any of the individual instruments. This is kinda an email-tag project, so they just send me what they got, and I add the drums.)

Still not really satisfied with the kick sound, but I think its a little better...

Any thoughts are welcome!

(I would forget the link....)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=25724

Sounds better then the first post but the drums are still missing especially with the vox added. If you do what Greg suggests it will turn out just fine.

Hey, thanks man. The band seemed to be pretty happy with the tracks, and are hoping to get their album out early next month, so I might not get a chance to redo this one, but I will keep these suggestions in mind for the other five songs Im doing, really appreciate it.

Here's the (most likely) final mix that the band just sent me:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=25725

I didnt do any of the mixing on this link, but Im still curious to see what you think!

Not trying to be a prick, but...The band is happy with this???? Honestly, it sounds fricking horrible. Are there really drums in that "mix"? I can barely hear them. It's horrible besides that anyway, but the drums are inaudible on top of it. There's the occasional snare that can be heard. But, if you told me there is no bass drum in this recording, I'd believe you. Other than that, the overall mix sounds like it's coming out of a 1968 transistor radio.

Here's the (most likely) final mix that the band just sent me:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=25725

I didnt do any of the mixing on this link, but Im still curious to see what you think!

Just out of curiosity, was the dude who mixed it also the guitar player? I only ask cuz guitar trax are waaay too dominant.
There should be more of a gelling of the mix where everyone is heard (including kick and toms).
I'd see if you can get your hands on all individual tracks and start a new mix. Maybe start with the drums and bass first. Bring up everything else to fit those tracks.

just a thought for ya. ;)
:drunk:

Not trying to be a prick, but...The band is happy with this???? Honestly, it sounds fricking horrible. Are there really drums in that "mix"? I can barely hear them. It's horrible besides that anyway, but the drums are inaudible on top of it. There's the occasional snare that can be heard. But, if you told me there is no bass drum in this recording, I'd believe you. Other than that, the overall mix sounds like it's coming out of a 1968 transistor radio.

RAMI, wtf man? How could you be so critical and harsh? ... I mean about the 1968 transistor radio that is... no reason to bring it into this.:laughings:

Hey, I appreciate comments, but for what it is, I dont think its so terrible. Im not a part of this band, so I dont think I have any right to be very critical about their mixing. Theyre just a couple of guys who just recently started playing music, and are having fun putting an album together...

I do appreciate the comments though, really. I myself would like to be able to do some decent sounding recordings in the future, so Ill take any help I can get.

I dont think its so terrible.
Seriously??? That's cool. To each their own, and it's not my name on it, so it if you're happy, I'm happy :)
Theyre just a couple of guys who just recently started playing music, and are having fun putting an album together...

Nothing wrong with that. If they're happy with it, then that's what music's all about.

Like I said, I didn't want to come off too harsh, but just wanted to give my opinion, since the title of the thread, after all, was "How's my drum sound"?

:cool:

Back