How's Business..?

Devilfire

Hello board... once again i have a question to any of you in the audio industry

i graduated from audio engineering school in 2000 (top five in my class !!)..one element that was so attractive about going to school is that they had a "Job Placment" program after you gradutated....(BULLSHIT!!!)

before the final term in school i met with my "job placement" director and she bascially told me she would send me on some interviews..if anything came around along with my complete confidence of getting good grades and knowing my stuff i said ..FUCK IT i dont need job placment .i can get it myself ..
(BIG MISTAKE)

from 2001-2003 i must have called every studio and radio station in new york city and emailed a few in california and of course no reply ..at the time i got the impression that the studio business was going thru a decline and studio were shutting down.

here it is 2005 has anything nothing changed ..i soon plan to quit my FT job to press harder onto my career but some advice would be helpful from any of you in the industry ...(hopefully in the NY merto area) sadly this is my only peer to peer outlet i have for information

you guys gave me good advice before ..dont stop now :)

Thanks

I can only wish you the best of luck.

I decided against a "music career" and proper recording education after speaking with a counsellor at MMI (Madison Media Institute). He said just to pay the bills I would probably have to work three jobs without benefits, move away to a "big city", any work for many years before I could "make it." Even then sounded sketchy. So I chose a different school where I can graduate and immediately make money. I don't LOVE it, but it will allow me to pursue my music hobbies.

damn ..this is depressing ...no one on here has anything postive or uplifting advice to give ...not only to me , but anyone else with the same problem...?

studio owners...recording/mixing engineers...program directors...boom operators...somebody..?

The "digital revolution" has hurt a lot of studios of all kinds. A few have closed of shop in my area in the last 3 years.

things are going downhill, all over the world actually.
i manage a recording studio here in sao paulo brazil, and its horrible.
forget engineering bands... but think about advertisement jobs.

ad agencies pay a lot of money to studios to put audio on their ads, whatever they may be: tv, radio spots, reasearch videos.

but as for music (ie. bands), more and more people are doing them at home.

didnt the hit factory in new york close its doors?? thats crazy

MadAudio said:
The "digital revolution" has hurt a lot of studios of all kinds. A few have closed of shop in my area in the last 3 years.

With that said, are companies hiring people who work out of their home studios to produce music for them? How do you think this "digital audio home studio boom" is going to change companies who need people to write music for commerical, video games, tv? Who are these people getting these fabulous jobs, and how are getting them? Years of schooling beyond most? Connections to the industry?

The March 05' issue of Recording Magazine had a very interesting article on the pros & cons of recording schools. The information suggested that recording schools are of little or no value in obtaining a job.

A couple of thousand bucks can buy a "home studio' and everyone and his cousin now records at home - which has hurt many "local studios". There will always be

If you choose a carreer in the arts (whatever art) you must do it because you love it to the extent that you simply can not find joy in any other carreer. However, you then must also accept the fact that the odds are very much against you and that you will likely live very close to the proverty level (which also means don't plan on a spouse and family) - you may want to sleep on floors, but they won't).

It seems like what it would come down to is pure talent, how well you can produce music that people want to listen to, and your knowledge of the equipment you use and recording in general. If music schooling isn't going to get you a job, then so be it. Spend the money on a home recording setup instead, learn it forwards and backwards, read as many books on recording as possible (although the hands-on training a music school could provide would be very beneficial), and see where your productions can take you. Musical talent speaks for itself in a recording.

Devilfire said:
that sounds like a real move ...but if you think about it ...how many people know how to really use there gear

Yea, I often wonder how many people on this forum really have their shit together, as opposed to the dreamers.

Honestly, the best thing to do is find a sound company (live) and work in the shop for starters. Or look for freelance work as a stagehand, unloading trucks etc and look for opportunity. Or find a local band that needs a sound guy and do it for FREE at nights for now. Intern at a studio for FREE til they like you.

Get it? Basically, school or no school, you are an engineer or producer WHEN YOU SAY YOU ARE!!!

Buy some recording equipment and hone your craft with local talent for NEXT TO NOTHING or FREE.

These are the sad facts my friend...

i just recorded some rappers today and i have no training that gives me a certificate to put on the wall but i do have a good positive attitude towards the rappers and dont have any interest in luring them into a contract with a "suge knight type" person. who goes to school to learn how to mow a lawn? just buy a lawn mower and go for it. as for working with producers and what not....if i saw one producer with platinum records on his wall and another one with diplomas from the berkley school of music, i think I'd go with the platinum records.

Back