How'd I (we) End Up Here

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Ok, I tried this yesterday but failed, so here it is again. This is a little Americana style song.

This is my first mix on new monitors...lots of new stuff and new techniques

Let me know what you think. The background vocals are going to be redone when I get some friends over to help.

Also, keep in mind this is a mix and is completely unmastered...and I like the UFO sound at the end so that's going to stay even though it doesn't make any sense.

Thanks!

I thought the lead vocal clarity was real good. I liked the tone on the clean-ish guitar. Lead guitar tone was a little thin for me - personal taste thing though.

I thought the kick was a little boomy and "bouncy". Sounds techno. Not enough woof to it. Snare is kind of muffled. Drum programming probably had a few more embellishments (cymbal crashes, tom fills, etc.) than a slow song like this should have.

Some small timing issues here and there.

I want to like this song but I think the mix is still off. I think the guitars can be brought up in the mix and the lead guitar needs to be turned down. I also thought the vocals were good. However, I also agree compared to the rest of the track the drums are too busy (and could be turned down). I found myself listening to the drum movements instead of listening to the vocals too often.

thanks.

the drums are just there to keep time until i can record my real drummer...i try to program them to give him an idea of what i want, but i suck at drums so my programming them sucks too. if it takes too long to get him i may work on the fake drums a little more to make them better.

I want to like this song but I think the mix is still off. I think the guitars can be brought up in the mix and the lead guitar needs to be turned down. I also thought the vocals were good. However, I also agree compared to the rest of the track the drums are too busy (and could be turned down). I found myself listening to the drum movements instead of listening to the vocals too often.

Great, thanks.

so guitars up, drums down and simple, vocals ok.

I think i'll mess with the drums some more this weekend just to get a better idea of how the whole mix will sound and to get comments on that.

Thanks a lot.

Back