How would you "superchunk" these corners?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hey all,

Sorry if I should be posting this in my own studio build thread, but I thought it may be of value to have it as a unique thread so that others can benefit if they are having the same issues as I am...

After I finish painting the studio, I will start installing my corner superchunks (4 vertical corners of the room). The back two corners where the drums will be, are bare and have no bulkheads, but go figure, the other end of the studio where my mix position will be has bulkheads of different sizes on either side. No I can't switch ends and have mix position on other side, and it's due to the way the room has been "soundproofed" (i want it so the drums are furthest from door the weakest link). In my hopeful opinion, the bulkheads aren't so bad or obtrusive as to have a dramatic effect on room acoustics.

The ceiling is about 7'2" high (not including bulkheads). How would you superchunk these areas? They will be the standard 2' wide (face) superchunks (I think that's the standard). On the side with the window, the face of the 2' wide superchunk would extend past the left edge of the window box.

Thanks!

corner1.JPG

corner2.JPG

Last edited:
On that top pic.... how far from the corner is the electrical outlet? And do you want to keep that TV cable hootcher?
I think the chunks I made were 17 inches across the front. I cut them from 2 ft X 4 ft Roxul, first cut in half making 2X2 squares then diagonal in half to make the triangles. So if that's similar to what you're thinking, I'm pretty sure it was 17 inches across the front.

If you don't care about the TV thing, cover it. Stack your triangles up just like normal and don't worry about that little bit at the top. Or the window. You could notch for the window but if it were me, I'd just leave it.
Maybe after you're done, you could do some small horizontal trapping across the tops of the corners but I'm not so sure you'll actually need it.

Just throwin a thought out there.

I cut them from 2 ft X 4 ft Roxul, first cut in half making 2X2 squares then diagonal in half to make the triangles. So if that's similar to what you're thinking, I'm pretty sure it was 17 inches across the front.
This can't possibly be true unless you really screwed something up. Pythagoras is. ;)

Otherwise, I think I agree. Just pile the things up as high as you can and don't worry too much about the weirdness. I'm not sure that I'd want to have the insulation covering an actual active outlet for fire safety reasons, but otherwise you should be fine.

This can't possibly be true unless you really screwed something up. Pythagoras is. ;)

Ya know? After I posted that, I got to thinkin that something didn't add up there. :p

So basically I have no clue. :)

I'll be over there fondling my Cheetos.
:D

If you cut the 2'x2' squares diagonally, then cut across them again (essentially cutting an X across the square), the long side would then be 24" and the short sides would be about 17". That way a 2'x4' sheet of 2" roxul would give you 8 triangles, stacked to 16" high. 4" Roxul, just double that - 32". So 6 sheets of 2" or 3 sheets of 4" would fill an 8 ft tall corner.
But if you're putting a (framed) 4" bass trap in front of the corner superchunk, hasn't it been said that stuffing the area behind with pink stuff is just as effective?

Hey guys...
I don't care abut the outlet or the tv connection on the right side. I am covering them. There is no fire hazard since the insulation is fireproof, but I will put little child safety things over top of it. On the left side, the plug is far enough away.

I am using Roxul which is about 15" wide. So cut diagonally and placing 2 squares side by side, the front face will be about 30" or so. I am pretty much making these but with wayyyyy less clownf*ckery that this guy does for no reason (added work). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUlW6BenyWg

I don't want to just have open space up above where the chunks would have to stop due to the bulkheads. I want to somehow keep them going but cut into the shape at the top a bit. I just don't know how that will work with the fabric stretching. And covering the window partially is extremely ghetto and blocks natural light. I'm not going through all this painstaking work of finishing a beautiful new room from scratch and then doing shoddy work at the end like covering windows halfway. haha!

Back