How would you record a whole drum kit with just one SM57?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god he's definitely mad. Come down bro. Is not that serious is music, well I mean I do make a living doing this, but, you know, obviously by the sound of your production (all instruments played, by, gasp, RAMI) I know your an amateur, so, chilax bro, you come across as a child. I am sure you're not.

Hmm. What makes you better than anyone here (Home Recording) that gives you the right to judge others that spend countless hours helping out other members here?

Is it your obvious ability to respect others on this forum?

Is it your calm demeanor that allows you to learn from and help others?

Is it your countless posts of recordings that are far superior to those posted by members here?

Nope.

You are being a dick in my opinion. How about contributing rather than calling out members?

Sorry, but I am not finding a way to like you or your attitude at this point.

Last edited:
If you are wanting a whole kit to mix then as above stated ... ONE PIECE AT A TIME ... hopefully in a dry room
( you can add room ambiance later ) i.e. reverbs etc. ... do a kick part, then a snare then a hi hat... then you can mic the toms do them together and copy and past them on 2 track panned slightly... count the clips to pan toms as needed ... then add cymbals.. i have done it this way ( not being drummer) and it works...especially if you have a click track to work with or a metronome ... click on "Angel of Mercy" at www.kevhenderson.com
i recorded it this way

Not EVERYTHING works.[/QUOTE]

Why not?

Some of the worst albums ever recorded, regarded as totally devoid of any cultural or emotional value, which have no staying power beyond a month or two were recorded in the most high budget studios, with top producers and mixers, mastered by the best people in the biz. . . Nobody will listen to those albums in 2 months, let alone 1 year, let alone 40 years. They'll be a very high fidelity piece of junk that will fade with the laundry. They'll make a bit of cash up front, but you know. . . nothing they'd want in their show reel 20 years down the road when people laugh at how cheesy it was. . .

Just saying. ;)

(this is why I don't post in here that often. lol)

p.s. Quite a lot of records are recorded with 57s. They're actually quite awesome for the price. I've seen people switch out a really expensive mic for a 57 cause it worked better. Moral of the story is that there is no one size fits all solution. Whatever conveys the right feeling is correct. Good luck on your search for links. I've got sessions to do. ;)

Back to the cave with me. . . :D Go about your business. Nothing to see here.

"They'll be a very high fidelity piece of junk that will fade with the laundry".

Just like this thread....

:)

Not EVERYTHING works.

Why not?

Some of the worst albums every recorded, regarded as totally devoid of any cultural or emotional value, which have no staying power beyond a month or two were recorded in the most high budget studios, with top producers and mixers, mastered by the best people in the biz. . . Nobody will listen to those albums in 2 months, let alone 1 year, let alone 40 years. They'll be a very high fidelity piece of junk that will fade with the laundry. They'll make a bit of cash up front, but you know. . . nothing they'd want in their show reel 20 years down the road when people laugh at how cheesy it was. . .

Just saying. ;)

(this is why I don't post in here that often. lol)[/QUOTE]

Strange how when I quote your post, it shows more than you posted. ADMIN!!!?

Something weird just happened here.

Some of the worst albums ever recorded, regarded as totally devoid of any cultural or emotional value, which have no staying power beyond a month or two were recorded in the most high budget studios, with top producers and mixers, mastered by the best people in the biz. . . Nobody will listen to those albums in 2 months, let alone 1 year, let alone 40 years. They'll be a very high fidelity piece of junk that will fade with the laundry. They'll make a bit of cash up front, but you know. . . nothing they'd want in their show reel 20 years down the road when people laugh at how cheesy it was. . .
Yes, and they would have been pieces of junk no matter how they were recorded. But that's about the songs, not about the sound. Once again, there's no point to your statement in the context of this thread. You're like Mr. Obvious trying to make all the obvious things he's saying sound more profound than they really are. Yes, some shitty albums have been recorded with top of the line equipment, and some great albums have been recorded with less than stellar equipment. And???????

Quite a lot of records are recorded with 57s. They're actually quite awesome for the price. I've seen people switch out a really expensive mic for a 57 cause it worked better.
I know. I'm the guy that said that on page one of this thread. Now, you're repeating what I'm saying. :D

Moral of the story is that there is no one size fits all solution. Whatever conveys the right feeling is correct.
Here we go again....Another awesome cliche from Mr. Obvious. :)

Good luck on your search for links.
I don't even know what that means.....more nonsense, I guess.

I've got sessions to do.
Go get 'em, Tiger! :D

Last edited:

What the fucking fuck does that have to do with anything? The album in your little example there doesn't suck because it was recorded professionally. Are you suggesting a band should know their album will suck beforehand so they can make the decision to record it suckily?

If you are wanting a whole kit to mix then as above stated ... ONE PIECE AT A TIME ... hopefully in a dry room
( you can add room ambiance later ) i.e. reverbs etc. ... do a kick part, then a snare then a hi hat... then you can mic the toms do them together and copy and past them on 2 track panned slightly... count the clips to pan toms as needed ... then add cymbals.. i have done it this way ( not being drummer) and it works...
This might be the worst post in this thread full of the worst posts.

What the fucking fuck does that have to do with anything? The album in your little example there doesn't suck because it was recorded professionally. Are you suggesting a band should know their album will suck beforehand so they can make the decision to record it suckily?

My point is that your job as an audio person is a conduit through which the music flows. You are secondary. Nobody gives a toss about anything any of us audio geeks care about any more than it serves the artistic vision of the song. If it serves the song to break the rules, then you are SUCKING to do it properly. If the artists you're recording can't carry their own without your 'magic fingers', they suck too. Know your role, fool. :laughings:

My point is that your job as an audio person is a conduit through which the music flows. You are secondary. Nobody gives a toss about anything any of us audio geeks care about any more than it serves the artistic vision of the song. If it serves the song to break the rules, then you are SUCKING to do it properly. Know your role, fool. :laughings:

Um, most of us here actually play and record ourselves...

I think you are missing the point here MrUser.

My point is that your job as an audio person is a conduit through which the music flows. You are secondary. Nobody gives a toss about anything any of us audio geeks care about any more than it serves the artistic vision of the song. If it serves the song to break the rules, then you are SUCKING to do it properly. Know your role, fool. :laughings:

All of the time you spend in the cave has made you stupid.

This thread is now a total trainwreck.

We've got the likes of:
Ha! You can use as many smiling faces as you want, but the reality is, no smiley face is going to cover your ugly self. Lol. #homerecordingslutz

Coupled with the likes of:
Take one mic shove up your rectum press record and finally join the military

And other instances of general ratbaggery and trollism.

I can't see anyone covering themselves with glory here, so I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back