How would you mic this kit?

rushofblood

I'm about to do a recording with my band soon, I'd like to have no more than 4 tracks recording, and I want a natural, but present sound.

We're recording with a Pacific FS kit, 22x18 kick, 10 and 12 toms (no floor tom) and a 14x3 Pearl picollo snare

Aquarian Superkick II/regulator set on the kick
Remo Emperor X on the snare
Ambassador pinstripes on the toms, clear on the bottom

Sabian B8pro 14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride.

I built a "subkick" mic, which I'll be using with a Blue kickball for kick
which leaves me with some options open for the rest of the drums.

our combined "mic locker" consists of:

Studio Projects B1
MXL 990
MXL 991
(2) Shure SM-58s
Sennheiser E825S

How would you set it up?

While we're at it, I want to record each track to seperate tracks on my Delta1010LT, and my mixer doesn't have the right bussing capabilities to do that, what do you recommend?

Also, if you have any general drum recording tips, please, I'd appreciate them very much!

Thanks!
Gino

I have a five piece kit with 22'' bass 10'', 12'' and 14'' toms and a 14'' snare.

Mics:

3 Audix i5's
1 Audix D6
1 Samson C03

How could I mic this kit to get the best possible sound?

abalagula said:
I have a five piece kit with 22'' bass 10'', 12'' and 14'' toms and a 14'' snare.

Mics:

3 Audix i5's
1 Audix D6
1 Samson C03

How could I mic this kit to get the best possible sound?

Same idea as the above post(s).

If I were you I might try the "Glyn Johns method." I'd take the c03 over the snare somewhere. Then an i5 near the floor tom pointing at the snare (probably same distance away from snare as the overhead). An i5 on snare, and of course the d6 on kick.

pick up one more i5 and you'll be set, other wise put an i5 on snare, one i5 between rack toms, and one i5 on floor tom, d6 on kick, co3 as OH above your snare, or try to place it more above the middle of the kick, or possibly about 4 feet in front of the whole kit, about 5 feet up. Set up the close micing as stated and just play with your one OH for the best results. Good luck.

Don't forget to try micing the BOTTOM of the snare instead of the top with the 4 mic setups.

And most of your kit sound should come from the overheads. If the kick or snare sounds off in the OH's move them until they both sound right. Then fill in with the other 2 mics as needed. Move 'em around until it sounds good- and don't stop until it does.

Don't forget to check every few takes to make sure the mics aren't moving, stands sagging, etc. Take pictures if you can and include the position of the kit in the room.

The Glyn Johns method is an *excellent* place to start.

Have fun!
Chris

I've never heard of micing just the bottom of the snare. I can see your reasoning because the overhead should pick up the top of the snare fairly well with the right placement. I always use a little bit of that top snare mic sound in my mixes to make it come a little bit more forward in the mix. I'm not trying to be a jerk, could you just explain a little more, cause if that works, I'd be willing to try it. Thanks.

also...

if ur recording, get some 0-rings to put around your drums, to dampen the buzzing and reverberating of the sound

Back