How would you hook all of this equipment up to get the best....

scottboyher

How would you hook all of this equipment up to get the best possible performance. I have tried hooking it up a hundred different ways and I am just freakin frustrated as hell. I want to be able to utilize everything that I have. I have been recording for over 15 years but this is the most equipment that I have had at one time.. I want to utilize my outboard gear more than the plugins.

I really thought I had the whole thing figured out but I guess I don't. I feel so damn stupid that I am posting this in the newbie section...

How would you hook all of this to get the best out of the equipment?

Computer with Average Soundcard stereo in/stereo out

Yamaha Mixer 16/4 (8 balanced ins, 4 stereo, Main out and sub 1/2 outs)
ART TPSII Pre Amp
ART Pro VLA Comp
Lexicon MPX 100
Alesis Midiverb 4
Behringer PX3000 48 Point balanced patch bay
Samson S-Com Compressor/Limiter
Behringer MIC2200
Behringer V-Amp Pro
Power Amp and Monitors
Assorted instruments, mic's and pedals

I am at a loss and have sacraficed my pride.. LOL

Last edited:
scottboyher said:
How would you hook all of this equipment up to get the best possible performance. I have tried hooking it up a hundred different ways and I am just freakin frustrated as hell. I want to be able to utilize everything that I have. I have been recording for over 15 years but this is the most equipment that I have had at one time.. I want to utilize my outboard gear more than the plugins.

I really thought I had the whole thing figured out but I guess I don't. I feel so damn stupid that I am posting this in the newbie section...

How would you hook all of this to get the best out of the equipment?

Computer with Average Soundcard stereo in/stereo out

Yamaha Mixer 16/4 (8 balanced ins, 4 stereo, Main out and sub 1/2 outs)
ART TPSII Pre Amp
ART Pro VLA Comp
Lexicon MPX 100
Alesis Midiverb 4
Behringer PX3000 48 Point balanced patch bay
Samson S-Com Compressor/Limiter
Behringer MIC2200
Behringer V-Amp Pro
Power Amp and Monitors
Assorted instruments, mic's and pedals

I am at a loss and have sacraficed my pride.. LOL

One suggestion:
Mics -> compressor -> preamp -> (a/ ->) mixer
mixer aux sends -> effects (reverb, etc) -> mixer aux returns

mixer stereo or mains out -> monitors

Now, you would want to use the patchbay when you need to route signal. Most co0mmonly used for routing effects and compressors during mixing. A lot of people do NOT like to use a patch bay for mic sources.

fraserhutch said:
You might want to wait until it sells before you say that :)

Did I say bad? I mean I didn't know how to use it... ;) LOL

Actually the V-Amp, Samson and the patchbay are excellent gear... I just don’t ever use them. When I started hooking everything up (to clean up a major birds nest) I just decided to sell them instead of figuring out where they go in the chain..

There is no right way to hook it all together to get the best out of the equipment. The way you want it depends solely on the job at hand. You want to keep the signal chain as short as possible for each application. Like for vocals you may want just mic->ART TPSII Pre Amp->recorder. It's not beneficial necessarily to have it all chained together as it will only degrade your signal and introduce artifacts. What is it that you are trying to do, track instruments, drums, vocals, play live, mix, master?

NYMorningstar

I record 75% acoustic/vocals.. anything that is through my mic's. The other is maybe an electric guit through a modeler or keys.

I just went like this ....

Mics > ART TSP II > ART PRO VLA > Mixer

Everything else is direct to mixer... I don't know what else to do.

I just elimintated the patchbay and all the options that was driving me crazy..

I'd go with Mics-> ART TSP II ->soundcard for recording unless there was no option to add effects and processing after tracking. From the way you made it sound, you most likely need another soundcard.

Back