how will this sound??

AlienRage

i'm setting up a small studio in my basement for a basic 4 piece rock studio. the room has about a 7.5' ceiling-tiled ceiling, carpeted floor, and drywall walls. it's not really that big. here is the setup i am considering:

2 Nady SP-5's going into a (4 track) Tascam PortaStudio 414 mkII (1 for bass amp, 1 for guitar amp), 1 Nady DM80 (bass drum) also going into the PS, 4 Nady DM70's going into a Rolls MX41S 4 Channel Passive Mixer, then that unit goes into 1 input on the PS.

i needed the Rolls so i could connect 4 drum mics into 1 input on the mixer. what i'm planning to do is record all the music tracks, then transer it track by track to my PC. from there, I can just run the vocal mic (Nady SP-5) through the mixer, which goes into my comp. i compile and mix with Acid Pro 4. does anyone have a guess on how the sound quality would be? it sounds like there should be no real problems, but i've never tried doing so many tracks at once. any ideas?

AlienRage said:
does anyone have a guess on how the sound quality would be?

It's up to you to try it and report back.

So much depends on unknown factors that I couldn't even hazard a guess.

In general most basements sound disgusting so it doesn't matter what equipment you use. Look into some DIY acoustic treatments while planning your studio or your efforts will be for naught.

There's nothing more frustrating than being noob and thinking that YOU suck when the truth is your gear or room is what sucks.

alien. imho you should consider doing what millions of us are doing...
instead of being limited to 4 tracks ,,,,,if you have a recent pc...
you can do 40 tracks on it. some pc's you can do over 100.
search under my name ...as ive covered this many times in past year.
then - if you have Q's ...just ask.
peace.

i can do unlimited tracks on my PC. i'm not looking to double my budget to get a result that i can already achieve. i just want to know if my mic setup makes sense, and if it should theoretically sound fine. i don't mind taking a little extra time to transport tracks individually from the 4-track to my computer. once i get the basic 7 tracks of music and transfer them into Acid Music Pro as separate tracks, then I can do more intricate overdubbing for an infinite amount of tracks, essentially. i could do the drums in one take, then the guitar/bass in another round. that would elminate my need for the Rolls 4-1 Splitter, and i could mix each drum mic separately, but i have a feeling that would take away from the overall energy and continuity of the song. thoughts?

AlienRage said:
i could do the drums in one take, then the guitar/bass in another round. that would elminate my need for the Rolls 4-1 Splitter, and i could mix each drum mic separately, but i have a feeling that would take away from the overall energy and continuity of the song. thoughts?

Try it both ways. Cut a scratch track, guitar/bass/drums, one mic each, using the Rolls to the PC. Then replace the drums (use 4 mics to a stereo mix in the Rolls into the PC), then guitar & bass, vocals, etc.

If you don't like that sound, then do it the way you described in your first post.

Pay special attention to mic placement and drum tuning, and even move the kit around the room until you get to a good sounding spot. Drums are the hardest part.

but why not just get a multiple input sound in your pc and record the drums
to it. the multitrack software i use lets me do that.
but maybe acid music doesnt let you do this. can you record multiple mics at one time in acid ??.

manning1 said:
but why not just get a multiple input sound in your pc and record the drums
to it. the multitrack software i use lets me do that.
but maybe acid music doesnt let you do this. can you record multiple mics at one time in acid ??.

acid doesn't allow this, plus i'd have to get a multi-input interface module, which would cost even more money, and i'm a cheapo! haha

one more question i had: what is the best/cheapest soundproofing material? just something to hang on the walls to prevent sound from bouncing everywhere...

there are all sorts of sound dampening panels advertised in eq and mix magazines. auralex is one i believe,
if you want multitrack software that works with multi input soundcards consider for the future what i use ..for consideration down the road...
powertracks pgmusic.com. 49 bucks for 48 tracks.
try the demo sometime. you wont beat it.
peace.

cables

ok. so, now i need to get cables and such. i've read that lo-z is best for recording. however, i can't find lo-z xlr to 1/4" cables...anybody know where to get them?

Back