How will adding wall jack connection points affect my signal chain? (or will they?)

KineticSound

The VOICE
I'm in the planning stages of my new recording space in the new house (well, actually we moved last July, but I'm taking my time to do it right). One finish element that I want to incorporate is to run most of the audio cable through the walls/ceiling and connect to wall jacks at certain points - i.e. an XLR panel behind the drum area, XLR/Headphone panel in the vocal area, etc. In all, there would be six channels of XLR connections that would be expected to carry phantom power and two balanced TRS runs. Each cable run would be around 25-30 feet.

Wall plates would come from a local company in Missouri that makes them to order, and someone recommended Canare quad series cable as linked below:
Canare Corp.: Star Quad Series: Star Quad Microphone cable(L-4E6S / L-4E5C)

My questions are:
1. I have taken great care to select microphone cables that are high quality, with quality connectors. It seems as though introducing so many new contact points could be a recipe for trouble. For example, Mic -Cable - Preamp now becomes Mic - Cable - Wall Jack with Soldered Cable Point - Another Soldered Cable Point and Wall Jack - Cable - Preamp. Does anyone have input on whether this creates a mountain of issues?
2. For anyone who has installed semi-permanent panels and wiring like this, can you share best practices or pitfalls to avoid?

Much thanks as always!

I find that using good quality cables and connectors usually avoids problems. One thing I always tell people doing an install is run more channels than you think you will need as you always want more later.

Another thing is don't run headphone cables in the multicore I used a alarm cable multicore and that worked very well, Run a heavy 2 core as an amp to speaker cables so that an amp head can be in the control room and the speaker box in the studio, and if you have not got wifi, run an ethernet cable so that someone can use a laptop in the studio connected to the computer system.

Alan.

A multicore is multiple cables within a common outer cover and on good cables another common shield, it is important if using multicores for audio that each core (the +, - and earth drain) has a separate shield so there is no crosstalk. The alarm mutli core is a bunch of wires in a common outer cover It is good to keep cables tidy over long runs as you only have to route a single cable.

alan.

Audio Multicore
images.jpeg

Alarm cable multicore
W2370.gif

Back