How To Use Metaphors More Effectively (3 Mistakes)

Hey Armistice,
I rephrased my 3 mistakes into guidelines for my post here because I didn't just want to copy paste. Thanks for pointing it out!
The actual mistakes are:
1) Avoid Notes
2) Nonsensical Harmony
3) No Build-Up
And you're right of course about "still make coffee for two" not technically being a metaphor, I understand metaphors in the sense of
understanding and experiencing one kind of thing in terms of another. In my definition, an image or act can be a metaphor. Like
when we see Jonah Hill eat a gold fish in Wolf of Wall Street (There we go again with the animal metaphors), which is a metaphor
for greed and hubris.

@fat_fleet: I agree: Animal themed metaphors are the worst.

@jonny deep & fat_fleet: Technically, since you're using "like" it's a simile. ;)

TO be honest, I'm just surprised you came back at all.

If you find yourself using the word "like" in a metaphor, it's almost guaranteed that you're constructing a simile.

He's a raging bull charging like a steam train across a sea of grass swaying like sea-grass.
How's the weather for the wether? I want to know whether he likes it or not?

If this guy knew anything about songwriting he'd have made a great album, no?

If this guy knew anything about songwriting he'd have made a great album, no?

This is why songwriting blogs, clinics, and debate are pointless and stupid. You'd think someone that has it figured so much that he can write tutorials and blogs on what to do and what not to do would have a few hit songs of his own. But then again, hit songs aren't necessarily good songs. And who's to say what's good and what isn't? Therefore, this is fucking pointless. Joe Nobody A telling Joe Nobody B how to write a song makes both of them idiots.

hit songs aren't necessarily good songs.
I fact, I'd say quite the opposite most of the time. For something to be "popular" means it has to be simple enough to be accessible to many people. Which mans it doesn't need any substance, just simplicity. That doesn't make it bad, but it has ZERO to do with being good, too. If I'm wrong, then I guess that the Archies were better than the Who, and Justin Beiber is better than.....everybody. It's beyond me that some people still confuse "sales" with "quality". They're mutually exclusive, and even usually opposites of each other.

This is why songwriting blogs, clinics, and debate are pointless and stupid. You'd think someone that has it figured so much that he can write tutorials and blogs on what to do and what not to do would have a few hit songs of his own. But then again, hit songs aren't necessarily good songs. And who's to say what's good and what isn't? Therefore, this is fucking pointless. Joe Nobody A telling Joe Nobody B how to write a song makes both of them idiots.

Perhaps you'd like to attend my seminar on how to get rich on the stock markets. Only $600 per person.

But this is all my fault, right? :D

Lol I don't know. I just know that if some nobody with no credentials or credibility tells me my songs sucks, I'm not gonna waste any energy on considering his opinion. Same with if he thinks it's good. Thanks, now move on. I've yet to come across a qualified opinion on songwriting freelancing on the internet. Anyone can like or dislike, but no one qualified enough to actually have an opinion on songwriting is gonna be spamming a clueless n00b site like this with his blog.

Musical success in 99.9% fashion. All the other influences, from songwriting to performance to engineering, fit in that remaining 0.1%.

This place reminds me of gang activity in South Central los Angeles.
Guy does a drive by, the gang groups up and goes after him.
Quite funny.
:D

Back