How to use Inserts

altiris

I would like to know how to use the inserts on the mixer. This is what I know.
The inserts on my mixer are pre fader pre eq. If I insert a mono trs into it, it acks like a direct out. I here it can be used to send a signal to a processor, I asume they are talking about an FX box, and through the same cable the signal comes back the the same part it left the mixer. How does it do this and what kind of cable do you use. Is there a special jack on the FX to do this? I mean I know this can't be done through the input of the FX. The signal does not come back out through the input. How do you wire this if you; say I want to plug a guitar and I want the signal coming back in stereo. Thanks inadvance Im sure some one knows this and how to wire this.

there are cables out there called "insert cables". You insert jacks are actually balanced, so a mono cable is not right. You need a Tip Ring Sleeve connector, otherwise known as TRS connector. If you just search ffor an insert cable and find a picture on google im sure it will make more sense.

It's a stereo to two mono cables

It's basicly a stereo splitter adapter...

The tip of the stereo jack goes to the tip of one mono jack (left)*gray
The ring of the stereo jack goes to the tip of the other mono jack (right)*red

This allows a "send" and "return" *gray and red respectively (red=ring=return)
:p Dom

Attachments

• Insert cable.bmp
    35.4 KB · Views: 649
Stereo Return?

I just re-read your post... If you want a stereo guitar signal coming back from your effects unit, you would be better off using an "aux" send to the unit and two cables (stereo) back into the mixer. This way any instrument that you send out the aux will return as stereo (If the effects box has left and right stereo outs!) You will be able to control the amount of the effect for each channel by adjusting the individual "aux" knob for that instrument.

An insert cable places an "effect box" in the signal chain of that particular channel only. and is best used for a compressor or EQ etc. Since 100% of the signal goes through the send/return lines.

I hope this clears it up a bit...

Dom :confused: :eek: :D

Where do plug the stereo cables that are coming Back from the FX? The way I was pluging it was Guitar into FX box, FX box Stereo out to mixer channel 1 and channel 2. Is there any thing wrong with this? or is it better using inserts and aux?

altiris said:
Where do plug the stereo cables that are coming Back from the FX? The way I was pluging it was Guitar into FX box, FX box Stereo out to mixer channel 1 and channel 2. Is there any thing wrong with this? or is it better using inserts and aux?

You have it connected correctly. Inserts are used for things like compressors on vocal tracks.

Back