How to Test my 38-8 without a mixer???

MartyMcFly

Hey,
I want to check my new 38 to make sure that the channels all work on it. But I still dont have a proper mixer. I am still planning on using my digi-002 mixer but I need snakes/cables.
Is there a quick and easy way to test each channels rec/play function with only 2 rca cords?
Thansk

Yes. I would plug the cables into some kind of stereo sound source (like a cd player or something) and then, while it's playing, stick the cables into inputs 1 and 2 on the 38, arm those tracks, and record something. Watch where the needles in the VU meters are as you record, and then play it back in both sync and repro and make sure the needles move to the same position. Repeat this process for the other 6 tracks. IMPORTANT: if you're doing this for an ebay feedback, don't just look at the meters! Listen back to each track one at a time, even if it takes a while. There could still be distortion or other issues that wouldn't affect the levels but may still indicate that the machine has problems.

Regards,
Theo

You can use the two (RCA) outs on your digi-002. Record 1 or 2 tracks at a time. A good thing to do first is record a 1kHz tone on each track @ 0 VU (reference the 38’s meters.) There should be a way to generate standard tones from the digi. Record all the tones first. You can play them back all at one even if you can’t hear them because the first thing you are checking is that each track plays back at about the same level on the meter as it was recorded. You can also listen to a track or two for extreme wavering of the tone (Wow & Flutter).

Then as has already been mentioned by Theo, pick one of your favorite CDs and record a song, two tracks at a time to the 38. Treat each pair of tracks on the 38 as a stereo pair. For example tracks 1 & 2 are left/right, tracks 3&4 are left/right, etc. This will give you a good picture of how well the 38 records professionally produced music that you’re familiar with. This is time consuming without all the cables, but that’s all you’ve got right now.

So to keep it simple just test your 38 as you would a cassette deck or CD player… and look at your 38 as having 4 stereo pairs, or having the equivalent of 4 cassette decks to test.

:)

Last edited:
What else do you have besides the 38, two RCA cables and the digi?

Right Now all I have is...
The 38,
My Digi,
A Standard CD Player,
2 Standard RCA-RCA Cables,
Thats it.
I am looking at the back of the digi-002 and I dont understand how to hook it all up. Even if I had all the cables. I dont understand.
Ya got 8 ins/outs on the 38. I got 8 ins/outs on the digi...But where will I hook up my mics then?

So exactly what type of cables do I want? i have been looking and i see balanced/unbalanced...TS TRS TT style. What exactly do I need for cables???Thanks

Last edited:
Back