how to sync analog to midi????

kartikbala

dudes,

i have a fostex r-8 which i want to sync to midi. i know i cld use this fostex mtc-1 device which syncs the r-8 to MTC, but it's kind of impossible to find these days. does anyone know of any other device that can sync midi to a reel-to-reel recorder? thanks a lot.

and....happy christmas to everyone!

kartik

It's usually much easier to sync MIDI to the tape instead. And then you just need a tape-sync device of some sort. Philip Rees has one, for example.

ok....so basically i connect my computer's midi out to this sync box and an output from the box to the taperecorder rite? is it as simple as this??

thanks dude!

The most common method for doing this is to "stripe" or record SMPTE time code to one channel of the tape, usually an outside track (8,16,24...). MOTU and a bunch of others make SMPTE to midi converters that get the time code from the tape and sync the midi clock to it. These boxes also output SMPTE code so that you can record it onto tape.

Check out the MOTU web site - they have some good info on midi and SMPTE.

Cheers
Kevin.

kartikbala said:
ok....so basically i connect my computer's midi out to this sync box and an output from the box to the taperecorder rite? is it as simple as this??

And the MIDI in, yes. Yup, it's that simple. :)

kartikbala said:

thanks dude!

That's how you 'stripe' the tape with the smpte signal. Then you reverse the connection to have the computer chase the tape deck.

SMPTE Track audio out to Midi Convertor to midi in on computer.

kartikbala said:
Awwrite...thanks pple for all your help.

Now to get my hands on a SMPTE to MIDI convertor!

:)

Kartik

Beware that usually SMPTE is overkill. If your main sequencer understand and can sync to MTC it should work well, but otherwise you are better off using a simpler form of sync.

My sequencer is Cakewalk, so I dont think there's any way to use MTC. I'm actually considering the M-audio Syncman. From what I've read in the manual it shld serve the purpose right?

Thanks pple for all your helps!!!

Kartik

I got a Yamaha YMC10 MTC converter and it works fine when using logic. Cubase has some problems and runs out of sync from time to time. The big disadvantage is that you cannot keep the snyc when you rewind the tape. You always have to play it from the start ... Now I'm waiting to get a SMPTE converter...

Yes, both your sequencer and your sync equipment need to either use MTC *or* SPP (song-position-pointer) to be able to start in the middle of the song.

I used to use my MC-909 for tape sync, and it doesn't understand any of it, of course (it's a very early MIDI implementation).

Now I use an MC-50 which do. Although it doesn't always work, and sometimes I have to go from the start. I don't know why...

I found that you have to record the clock/smpte signal at 0 DB or more for the converter to read it right. Again, Cubase for example doesn't alway 100% sync to it, but Logic does !

Back