How to swap a tube in this mic ?

Omega757

I've done the bigger tubes before but never one that looks like this. How do i get it out without damaging anything,what kind of tube is it,and what would be good to replace it with ?

Attachments

• GEDC0489.JPG
    GEDC0489.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 52
what kind of tube is it

What kind of mic is it?

It's a subminiature tube, possibly a 5840, EF72, CV465 etc. Probably (but not necessarily) a pentode. It is written on the tube, but the photo isn't good enough to read it. They tend to be quite rugged and reliable.

Why do you want to change it? Is it faulty?

Changing it is a simple case of unsoldering it from the board and soldering in the new one. But be careful - it is very easy to overheat those circuit boards which causes the copper traces to lift, and then you are in real trouble.

If you are not used to soldering then take it to someone who is!

Stewart

Well this mic just started to hiss and crackle a bit do you think the tube has gone bad,and can anyone fix this for a fee ??

IDK - If it's new you should burn it in (leave it on) for a few days.

Hiss and crackle could be a sign of a bad ground are you sure that you have it put back together really tight?

Hiss and crackle is either a bad XLR connection that is causing the phantom power to drop off, fixed by cleaning the xlr connections. Or condensation on the mic which you can fix by leaving it on over night or placing it in a warm dry environment for a day or two. I don't think the problem will be the valve.

Alan.

It does in Europe - we go day/month/year.

(Personally, I always follow MSB* and write the year first - year/month/day. It's no good knowing it was a Thursday if you don't know what decade you're in!)

(* most significant bit)

Back