How to soundproof windows effectively?

DarrenVocal

I've seen many options like the double window panel ( Or whatever you call it ) , using foam, and a few more. So here's my question: How do you actually go by soundproofing the windows without spending too much? Any help given would be much appreciated.

Are you talking about outside windows or studio-to-control room windows? True soundproofing of outside windows is near impossible without reconstruction of the window/wall structure. Double pane glass helps, you can also rig up a gobo acoustic trap to place in the window.

Are you talking about outside windows or studio-to-control room windows? True soundproofing of outside windows is near impossible without reconstruction of the window/wall structure. Double pane glass helps, you can also rig up a gobo acoustic trap to place in the window.

I am talking about outside windows. Near impossible? What are the other possible ways other than the gobo acoustic trap?

My first band made a window gobo thing that we used everytime we rehearsed. It was actually quite effective in keeping the sound inside the house we were playing in. It was made out of fiberglass if I recall.

Are you trying to keep outside noise from coming in, inside noise from going out? How 'soundproof' do you need it to be? A bass trap that fits snugly over the whole window frame is going to be your best bet, but you could hang moving blankets as 'curtains' - velcro around the whole window frame to prevent leakage - woudl cut down on high frequency transmission. Bass is going to get transmitted right through the structure.

Well, I am trying to keep outside noise from coming in. I need it to be soundproofed enough for recording of a condenser microphone without picking up city noise I suppose?

Well, I am trying to keep outside noise from coming in. I need it to be soundproofed enough for recording of a condenser microphone without picking up city noise I suppose?

Have you taken a sound measurement of how much sound is coming in? If it isn't too bad, maybe a noise gate as an insert.

First question. I assume you want to still be able to see out the window. Most studios just sheetrock over them, but if you want to still be able to see.
1) they should be double pane glass for starters otherwise you may be wasting you time. I would try to build a frame and put in thick plexi, but even that may not yield acceptable results.
( and you would need to check your building codes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you taken a sound measurement of how much sound is coming in? If it isn't too bad, maybe a noise gate as an insert.

A noise gate will never fix recorded noise, as you can hear the noise in the background when the gates open with the wanted signal.

One of my old studios used to have a noisy window problem, I just made up a thick foam plug about 6" deep and put a 3/4" thick MDF panel on the inside that fitted against the frame. I made it removable if we wanted natural light in the room when not recording.

Very similar to the window filling here.

Alan.

P.S, I used foam here as it was being removed when not in use and fibreglass would have dropped fibres, fibreglass would be used if permanent.

Back