how to set up shit?

SecondHeartbeat

alright I need some major advice on how to set up all my shit.

i have a wooden desk that isnt very thick. do you think i should get the monitors off? cuz it kinda reverberates through the desk

what kind of wood would anyone reccomend for treating your walls and how thick?

will putting thick curtains over my windows help the room sound better?

how much would it cost and how hard would it be to put a window in my closet/vocal booth door?

thanks to anyone who helps me out!!

SecondHeartbeat said:
i have a wooden desk that isnt very thick. do you think i should get the monitors off? cuz it kinda reverberates through the desk

Yes. I just used some of this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-530&CFID=1025309&CFTOKEN=31435838

to isolate my monitors in my temp setup, before I get my new in-wall monitors built :cool: One sheet is plenty for a pair of monitors. You can stick two layers of the stuff together for more isolation and a less permanent installation.

Or you can build monitor stands, search this board for some threads on that.

what kind of wood would anyone reccomend for treating your walls and how thick?

Complicated question. What is your room like? What are you trying to accomplish? Most people go for absorption, using rigid fiberglass insulation, more than diffusion with wood diffusers.

will putting thick curtains over my windows help the room sound better?

Yes, a little, curtains will knock down some high-frequency reflections. You'll still need low-frequency absorption.

how much would it cost and how hard would it be to put a window in my closet/vocal booth door?

Depends on the door construction. If it's a typical hollow core interior door, you'd have a tougher time cutting a hole and dropping in a window than a solid core unit. Be aware that putting a window in a solid core door will reduce isolation somewhat.

The easiest way, although maybe not the cheapest, is to buy a prehung, weatherstripped exterior door with a window, and install that. It should get you ~30dB of isolation, maybe more, which hopefully is enough for vocals.

thanks alot.

for the wood thing im just trying to get a combo of something that will look good but also be really functional in terms of like acoustic treatment and all that good stuff. cuz i was in the producer Mudrock(Andrew Murdock) last year for a contest i won and he had some kind of nice wood all over the walls. he told me what kind it was but i had a little to much to drink that night and i dont remember what he said.

SecondHeartbeat said:
for the wood thing im just trying to get a combo of something that will look good but also be really functional in terms of like acoustic treatment and all that good stuff. cuz i was in the producer Mudrock(Andrew Murdock) last year for a contest i won and he had some kind of nice wood all over the walls. he told me what kind it was but i had a little to much to drink that night and i dont remember what he said.

Yeah, those were probably diffusers, or tuned absorbers. I'm guessing that was a decent sized room, probably not square or rectangular either.

We homereccers have different problems because the shape and size of our rooms aren't ideal. So the focus shifts towards absorption--to get rid of early reflections, and to absorb bass, which in a small room accumulates in nodes, which throw off the flatness of the room's response.

There's a lot to learn there, but I learned last week that one of our frequent pro contributers, Rod Gervais, published a book on home studio design recently! Search for it on Amazon!

Or just find some 2" thick rigid fiberglass insulation in your area, wrap in in fabric, and hang it everywhere you can fit on your walls, especially on the sides of your mix position. Check pro insulation suppliers in your area, Home Depot doesn't normally stock the stuff.

Lots and LOTS of threads here about this topic. Do a search, or just scroll back through the last couple of weeks :)

For stacking shit you need a PHD, (Piled Higher and Deeper)
sorry guys, I just couldn't resist the temptation.

Back