How to save money building a studio without compromising sound quality.

'Budget' gear - whose budget? The 'first timer' may have $200 or $2000 - do you give the same equipment advice to everyone? ;)

Most important advice: read read read everything you can before buying anything. There is a minimum list of equipment needed to start out, and there is a pretty steep learning curve. I suspect at least half of the people who start out wanting to 'do it all' give up at some point. From people I have talked to in person, it seems at least 75% believe they cannot record/mix themselves.

i agree, i have friends who work in the gold mine and buy 6 string bass guitars and 8 string guitars and can't even play for shit. lol.. their budget is quite huge. i do believe that unless your trying to make a huge career out of music, mid ranged gear is good, as long as your an ok player.

If you want decent preamps, I strongly suggest FMR audio RNPs. I have one and compared to a Joe Meek TwinQ ($1400) and an Audient ASP008 ($1700 for 8 channels) the FMR definitely holds its own. Plus their customer support is excellent.

Also recommend Naiant mics. I got a pair of SDCs for $130 and they certainly get the job done.

Hello,

For the budget minded,what's important or not and general recording philosophy check out these Google hits.

Daptone Records
Steve Albini Electrical Audio

I found them very useful.

Gary

Back