Worthwhile?

• This is awesome! Gimme me more!

Votes: 134 83.8%
  • *sigh*, whatever

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • What a windbag! Shaddap!

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
I suppose it's been a few months again: any updates? Extra knowledge you've accumulated over the past 9 months? :)

This thread is fantastic and should be stickie'd

Haven't seen Frederic around much lately. His website is down too. Hope he's still doing well. Could be that the new addition is keeping him busy.

You are my hero. My whole life I have wanted to do what you do. I am going to Full Sail to get a bachelors. Any advice on that decision? I want to own my own studio someday as well.

You are my hero. My whole life I have wanted to do what you do. I am going to Full Sail to get a bachelors. Any advice on that decision? I want to own my own studio someday as well.

A: Probably a good idea to read through the entire thread before posting: the post right before yours indicates that the original poster hasn't been around here for a while!

B: Personally, I'd check out how much that degree's gonna cost you in cash, and how much time it'll take to get said degree, and ask yourself: are you going to learn more about the music/recording business going to school, or by using the cash to buy some equipment and learn it yourself? Tuition is typically $35,000-$75,000, not including the cost of living (they don't have on-site living quarters), or their MacBook Pro's they're requiring students to buy.

Think about this one long and hard. Go to studio's in town and ask their engineers what their opinions are. Talk to people who went to Full Sail and ask them what they think of their experience. Etc. I'm not against school, but I think a lot of people go for the wrong reasons.

Good luck!

A: Probably a good idea to read through the entire thread before posting: the post right before yours indicates that the original poster hasn't been around here for a while!

B: Personally, I'd check out how much that degree's gonna cost you in cash, and how much time it'll take to get said degree, and ask yourself: are you going to learn more about the music/recording business going to school, or by using the cash to buy some equipment and learn it yourself? Tuition is typically $35,000-$75,000, not including the cost of living (they don't have on-site living quarters), or their MacBook Pro's they're requiring students to buy.

Think about this one long and hard. Go to studio's in town and ask their engineers what their opinions are. Talk to people who went to Full Sail and ask them what they think of their experience. Etc. I'm not against school, but I think a lot of people go for the wrong reasons.

Good luck!

Full sail's a great place, I'd really like to go there. But is that much money worth it?? I dunno.... What if you got an internship at a local studio? that's what I hope to do some day in highschool.

Just browsing through some old threads and came across this~!
EXCELLENT THREAD!!!...There should be more like this!!!

Insightful thread. Wondering what happened to the OP's studio project. Is he still running a studio? Sure sounded like he had the knowledge and insight to run a studio business successfully.

Yeah, I haven't been here in ages... but thanks to StevieB who reached out to me to say hello - your call was very much appreciated! And thank you all for enjoying this information, I'm glad it was useful, helpful, or whatever the case may be.

---

I still have a recording studio, but it's just a home studio built within a garage loft with a slanted ceiling on one side (which turned out to be acoustically useful by chance). On occasion several friends and I will jam to covers, sometimes originals, lay down tracks, and pretend we're "pro" purely for the entertainment and company of each other, often as a trip down memory lane in a sense. Very soothing for the soul. I wish I had more time for it to be honest.

---

I see somehow my car-related craziness became intermingled with this thread, so I'll just tell you that I did finish the twin-turbo 500cid stroker for the truck, shoved it in, and spent almost a year tweaking and tuning to find it's limits which unfortunately I did - one PSI too much of boost and that's all she wrote. Never take a "dare" when it's your hardware :)

My son, who is now five, also seems to have a knack for tools and such, so while he was two I built him an electric ride-on toy, which he started driving just after his 3rd birthday in the early spring:

The above video was his first time driving, and he was 3 yrs and few months at the time. Also, the gas pedal and the brake control are integrated together, which is why at first it jerks to a start then jerks to a stop. I had things a bit sensitive worried that he might floor it and drive off the property into the street. Towards the end of the video you'll see my son figured out how to do donuts. Father like son and all that.

Unfortunately I had sized things for his age of two and he outgrew this thing way to fast, so on and off as time and money permits, I've been working on electric car II - it will seat four kids or two adults.

He's also just starting to get into music... his mother and he play piano every night with my son learning just the basics at this point, weekly he and I play drums in the basement, that teaches him rythm and coordination, and his fingers aren't quite big enough for the half-sized guitar I bought him six months ago. He loves it though, so I imagine there will be another musician/wlder/drive-fast geek in the family :)

---

Anyway, brief update I know, but thanks for missing me :)

Last edited:
This is sweet! Kinda makes me think about renting out my basement studio once its done. But its kinda small (75 sq feet) but I could probably make some side cash recording individuals.

Glad to see my phone call got your interest piqued... I enjoyed our brief telephone conversation, and it's good to see you check in.

I have given this subject serious thought too. I have a reasonable amount of space, though not huge by a long shot.

It's much less financial risk if you can get away with running a studio in a residential zoned area.

It might also give you a feel for the market in your location providing the services are adequate. If you can make a go of it and actually make money, enough to cover an external business it might be worth it just to discover that aspect of running a studio.

There are downsides of course.

You have strangers in your home, the rest of the family to contend with, the noise in a residential area, but it might be a good trade-off compared to the cost of renting or buying a building only to find out it's a wash.

Very good reading from the OP. Enjoyed that and made me think a little more about this.

Glad to see my phone call got your interest piqued... I enjoyed our brief telephone conversation, and it's good to see you check in.

Thanks, I enjoyed it as well, though I was surprised at first... scratching my head after you left the first VM... Steve... Steve... hmmm... who is Steve? lol

what would you think about trying to run a studio out of your own home, nothing permanent just eager to get started??

I see nothing wrong with it, as I've of the opinion that knowledge and technique is far more important than sound treatments and the level equipment you have.

Sure, you can hire someone to design and build out a $250,000 studio in your home and fill it with protools, but if you don't know how to mic a violin or record a vocalist, it's not going to matter. You'll find that almost all professionals started with the very basics - a microphone, a recorder of some kind, and a heavy moving blanket or equivalent. As they learned how to use the equipment to it's maximum ability, they upgraded.

Good equipment does sound better than poor equipment, but ask anyone here who is a true professional and I'll bet they can remember something that came their way that sounded damn good and was recording on a basic cassette-based portastudio of some kind.

If you think about it for a minute, guys like Eddie Van Halen can play pretty much as good on a $1500 custom guitar or a cheap fender knock-off plywood guitar. To a degree, that also applies to recording.

So yes, you can get started with the basics, hone your craft, and build from there.

It might also give you a feel for the market in your location providing the services are adequate. If you can make a go of it and actually make money, enough to cover an external business it might be worth it just to discover that aspect of running a studio.

There are different markets too.

Certainly, there's the pro market where Martina McBride's producer will call you up and block out two weeks and show up with an entourage and cater everything. That kind of business is very difficult to get.

Then there's the financed demo work, where the record companies are looking to outsource a first album, or maybe a pro-sounding demo to get a better aural feel as to how an artist or group will sound if recorded well. That business is easier to get, but also very difficult.

Recording unsigned artists is more likely, and long time ago I did fairly well recording garage bands, mostly of the rock, hard rock, and metal genres. It was the late 80's, early 90's after all. And to be honest, the output of my studio didn't have to be pure prefection. I strived for it and worked hard to achieve it but recording, mixing and mastering are skills that take time to learn and learn well.

Anyway, I think it's a bit unrealistic to build a studio and expect the career performers and artists backed by sony, BMG, and others to ring your bell constantly. There is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom and working up. That's how most studios grew over the years... the big ones now were tiny 20-30 years ago, and started off for the most part recording garage bands.

You have strangers in your home, the rest of the family to contend with, the noise in a residential area, but it might be a good trade-off compared to the cost of renting or buying a building only to find out it's a wash.

A fairly easy way to resolve the security concern is to use an area of the house that can be blocked off from the rest of the house. A garage, or garage loft with an added, separate entrance, or a basement with a separate stairwell. If there is an adjoining door between that space and the house, you can install a deadbolt or two if you're paranoid.

That's how my home studio is actually... garage loft with a stairwell in the back that opens to the outside, and between the garage loft and the third bedroom in my home is a bathroom - with doors on each side. Both doors have differently keyed deadbolts. I can easily lock the studio side so visitors who sleep in the 3rd bedroom can access that bathroom but not the studio, or lock the bedroom side of the bathroom making it accessable to the studio.

It would be nice if that bathroom had a taller ceiling and no slant, but tall people learn to duck very quick :)

Very good reading from the OP. Enjoyed that and made me think a little more about this.

You're welcome :)

frederic
Opinionated Old Fart
:D Hey ya opinionated old fart. How the hell are you?:p How's parenthood treating you these days? Doin anything in the studio? Haven't seen you around these parts in a long time. At least I ain't the ONLY opinionated old fart around here anymore.:laughings: Good to see ya back.

fitZ:)

Hey Rick, LTNS, glad to see you're still here also!

Parenting is great, can't believe my boy is 5 already. Goes by so fast.

Overall I'm good, just hoping to ride out this economy so I have time and funds available for fun things like hotrodding and studio play.

I doodle every once in a while but lately have been focused on moving my business forward which often feels more like digging it out of a canyong with a bent fork lol.

What's cooking with you?

What's cooking with you?
Hi frederic! Well, just more of lifes little rides in ageing funland:D Hows that song go...oh yea.."is that all there is my friend?...then lets keep dancin...lets break out the booze..." If I knew 20 years ago what I know now...well, I'd popped a LOT more Champagne bottles and danced a lot more too! Lifes short. VERY short. Enjoy it while you can. You never know what Murphy has waiting for you around the corner.
Parenting is great, can't believe my boy is 5 already. Goes by so fast.
So its been 5 years already:eek: See what I mean...before you know it he'll be askin for the keys to the car and $100 bill to take his girlfriend to McDonalds.:D And you'll be wondering where the time went.:confused::laughings:

Overall I'm good, just hoping to ride out this economy so I have time and funds available for fun things like hotrodding and studio play.

Ride out the economy? ummmmmmm,...I don't think you've been paying attention frederic....the Wallstreet gang stole it.:p It ain't NEVER comin back.:rolleyes:

Doesn't bother me though. I've ALWAYS been on the edge and learned a long time ago how to survive. But the middle class is in for a rude awakening.
They still haven't got it. The political/financial elite are a boil on the ass of humanity, and it needs lancing. its only a matter of time before it happens. I only wish I could live to see it...ala the Russian Czar. I also wish I had the opportunity to join in...ala pitchforkin a Wallstreet hedgefund CEO and hangin
em upside down from a lightpole in front of Goldman Saks..on fire. Although I'd bet theres an eternity of funland rides waiting for them. And theres no
judgement hedgefund.:D

Well, good luck to you frederic. Have fun with that kiddo while you can.
fitZ:drunk:

Back