How to ruin your mics?

Moving

Hi!

Here´s so much talk about mic´s and everything, but I would like to konw
How to ruin your mics? is it possible to do this by singing, by micing your guitar cab? Top ten ways to ruin your mic?

Some mics are more delicate than others. Dynamic mics tend to be a lot more rugged than condensers.

Probably the most common way of ruining a mic is by dropping it. But loud noises can also ruin a mic -- for instance, I recall a story about a famous (unnamed) engineer who was giving a tutorial and ruined an expensive ribbon mic by using it on a loud guitar amp.

9mm +P 147gr. hollow points. That'll mess up almost any mic.

Maybe not an SM57, but almost anything else.

But yeah, drops, dirt, excessive moisture & dust...

Here are the classics:

1. Drop it.
2. Smack it with a drumstick.
3. Don't use a pop filter, and spit on it.
4. Apply phantom power to your ribbon, especially when it's live and cranked up.
5. Plug it into a TRS line out.
6. Use it in a Who tribute band.
7. Hire that roadie that blows in them good and hard to make sure they're live.
8. Use it as a blunt instrument on the roadie.
9. Put it in an isolation box with a Marshall stack and practice Jimi Hendrix.
10. And my favorite- leave it in Bill Clinton's office when he's out of cigars.-Richie

I meant on practical use like micing on really hiwatt amp with a close micing?
You know i ve read so much articles on how do mics work and everything but I havent seen any articles from topic: how to destroy your mics...
in common recording situation....

But really thanks from the comments!

Richard Monroe said:
Here are the classics:
6. Use it in a Who tribute band.
7. Hire that roadie that blows in them good and hard to make sure they're live.
8. Use it as a blunt instrument on the roadie.
9. Put it in an isolation box with a Marshall stack and practice Jimi Hendrix.
10. And my favorite- leave it in Bill Clinton's office when he's out of cigars.-Richie
LOL!!!! :D

hilarious.

Bathing with your mic is a bad idea.
Dropping mics off of tall buildings is not advised.
Dousing your mic with kerosine and igniting it would probably do more harm than good (unless it's a Behringer).
Your mic is not dishwasher or microwave safe.

But seriously, the main ones have been covered. Blowing into a condenser or ribbon mic is bad. Loud noises usually won't do harm unless they are accompanied by a blast of moving air (mouth, speaker, drumhead, etc.). Dynamics are usually pretty rugged and can handle these things better. Dropping them or hitting them with drumsticks is no good.

Leave it on a stand, preferably plugged in with the cable dangling, then give your cats a pile of catnip (or your clients/band a couple of beers and a joint).

Back