How to recreate the sound of those old Disney cartoons

Using a decent digital reverb on a hall setting and a fairly wet mix of the hall should do it.

Back then, they either used an actual hall and mic'ed the performers from a bit of a distance with an omni patterned Mic or a mix of close up Mic's along with one or two placed further away into the hall to pick up the space of the room.

Cheers! :)

Using a decent digital reverb on a hall setting and a fairly wet mix of the hall should do it.

Back then, they either used an actual hall and mic'ed the performers from a bit of a distance with an omni patterned Mic or a mix of close up Mic's along with one or two placed further away into the hall to pick up the space of the room.
Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM is right on with this! It all has to do with the room. If I was you I'd keep my ears open when your out and about to find rooms that you could possible record in. I'm fortunate to have two major universitys very near to me with a great working relationship with both. I've found many places to record at them, large halls/5 story concrete block stair ways/long corridors.and the results are always astonishing. you could look to local churches,grange halls,VFWs the list can go on and on.

Hi, all. I'm trying to recreate the sound of the music from those first Disney films, in particular, the choir sound like in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHsPCAZlP4. I'm recording on a Tascam PortaStudio 424. I love how those reverby instruments and background vocals sound so dreamy. Thanks for your help.

I believe what they did, or at least the way it sounds is pre-recorded music was played live over speakers and live vocals and sometimes other things were overdubbed with it live in the room. I would use a decent ribbon micophone to capture it and do it in a room with good acoustics. You could also mix the pre-recorded material in through the mixer but I'd try recording the speakers in the room too. If you have a small room and a reverb unit you could add the hall reverb setting in the room too.

Hi, all. I'm trying to recreate the sound of the music from those first Disney films, in particular, the choir sound like in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHsPCAZlP4. I'm recording on a Tascam PortaStudio 424. I love how those reverby instruments and background vocals sound so dreamy. Thanks for your help.

If you read what the guy who uploaded this says, it's pretty obvious he substituted the Louis Armstrong track for the original Disney movie sound. So it's not from the Disney movie soundtrack.

It's in stereo and so probably from the late 50's or early 60's. The sound has also been pretty mangled by severe data compression on the Youtube. There'd probably be even more reverb on the original Satchmo track.

Oh, I didn't even notice that. The sound of the recording is still very similar to what I'm going for, though. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it's been too long since I've seen Pinocchio! It's a great version, regardless.

Back