How to record without any loss?

Sasha_music

I’ve got a guitar processor Roland VS-88 and I just adore the way it sounds. But there’s a problem harassing me all the time…
When I record my guitar playing that amazing sounds … sucks.
I mean about 10% of its stereo width is lost.
I used Delta Midiman and Waveterminal sound cards. They both work pretty good (see I get a proper sound through any of them before recording).
I also tried various Software like Qubase, Sonar Studio, Cool Edit Pro, Samplitude… the same problem.
So where is this drawback from?
I use PC; my Hard Disk is IDE (ATA) but not SCSI (may be that’s a reason?)
Maybe using a professional Work Station could be a solution?

Friends, I need your advice very much. Don’t let me be desperate, please.
Thanks in advance!

Sasha

(and please, forgive me for my English if smth is wrong :rolleyes: )

how are you recording this? direct or with a mic?
and i'm confused on what you're saying...'cause a mono signal, ie. your guitar, will not produce a stereo image unless the effect you're putting on it returns stereo...to two speakers...and then you mic those speakers or record direct to two separate tracks

OK, I record direct; the effect returns stereo…to two speakers (everything is like you said)
But then… I’m sorry I don’t understand ‘then you mic those speakers or record direct to two separate tracks’ . Why should I do that? May be I understood smth wrong. Could you explain it one more time in other way? What does it mean – ‘to mic’?
I’m very very sorry for my English.

Please, help a pity girl to become a pro. ;)

Thanks,
Sasha

Wow, this is a case of the blind leading the blind here...

Listen, unless you are using two mics to record you are not getting any stereo anything. If you are having a quality issue you may want to look at your signal chain.
source(you say your guitar sounds good)>mic>preamp>recorder(are you using compression options in the VS unit?).

I have no idea how micing speakers came into this conversation but it's way off base.

hahhah, i don't know what the hell i was smoking when i wrote that. maybe i thought she was using some sort of outboard effect unit with her guitar....going direct from the guitar, into the effect which was returning stereo and saying she could record stereo out of the effect into her computer (or playing around with it by mic'ing two speakers?? i don't know what i meant sorry).

jake-owa said:
Listen, unless you are using two mics to record you are not getting any stereo anything. If you are having a quality issue you may want to look at your signal chain.
source(you say your guitar sounds good)>mic>preamp>recorder(are you using compression options in the VS unit?).

If I use compression it sounds good (like any compressed sound)
But still… after recording it loses that notorious 10 per cents of stereo width.
You said about two mics for recording to get stereo.
But see I’m recording direct ‘cause conditions of my home recording studio don’t let me record through mics clearly.
So is it possible to get a pretty good result in my case?

Sasha_music said:
...But still… after recording it loses that notorious 10 per cents of stereo width.
...You said about two mics for recording to get stereo.
There still needs to be something different on two tracks L and R to be stereo. Assuming the guitar is mono, what is it that you are recording that is stereo? (Effects or reverb?) Or are you recording mono and just missing the sound of it while you are playing it in your room?
Wayne

What is the bit depth and sampling rate set to? You are saving as a wav (at least 16 bit/ 44.1) and not an MP3, right?

are you doing anything to edit the sound once it is recorded?

what sound card are you using?

jake-owa said:
WHAT SOUND ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE??

We need answers!
Yes! :eek: Because 'No one knows who they were, or what they were doing.'
Ladies and gentlemen. 'TAP JAM'
Take it from the top.
:D

The reason that you are hearing an amazing sound out of your amp in stereo but not on the recording is - w/o more info I'm guessing - you are recording stereo (two signals) into one track or you haven't made any distinction between the two sources/sound.

I might be wrong here, but I think that she's trying to get a decent sound out of her DIRECT OUTS on the amp. Sounds like shes using stereo outputs into a compressor then to the board. With two identical tracks of the same take, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the stereo imaging is lost.

IF this is the case, Sasha, make sure you set up like this:

DIRECT OUT (left) -> Track A
DIRECT OUT (right) -> Track B

Pan the two tracks opposite each other, one to the left and the other to the right (blend to taste).

You probably won't notice any stereo imaging unless there is at least a little difference between the two tracks. You can double track the guitar, add some delay to one of the tracks, use phasing/flanging on one of the tracks, etc. If they are identical you won't hear a "stereo" sound.

Give us some more info on the signal path.

Bryon

mixsit said:
There still needs to be something different on two tracks L and R to be stereo. Assuming the guitar is mono, what is it that you are recording that is stereo? (Effects or reverb?) Or are you recording mono and just missing the sound of it while you are playing it in your room?
Wayne
I use amazing effects that make sound stereo and then
I record through (in-right) and (out-left) of my sound card.
My signal chain is OK and I get a pretty good sound through my headphones before recording. But after… :o

Sasha_music said:
My signal chain is OK and I get a pretty good sound through my headphones before recording. But after… :o
Bingo! Success. I knew there was one person who could turn the key, and she has returned! :D In-right and/or out-left are both mono (single only) paths.
"It takes two, baby', it takes two..."
:)

Sasha_music said:
What do you mean in right and out left. That would be one input. Stereo is always a pair of channels. So you are recording in mono, all of your stereo width will be lost.

Back