How to record two tracks at same time

Blak Jak Balla

I have managed to fix the bug I had with Cubasis and the Tascam US-122 running Windows XP. The problem was with XP. I needed to download a patch. I have a new problem now!

How do you record two tracks at the same time in cubasis? I just want to record acoustic guitar and voice on two seperate tracks at the same time. I can't seem to do that. The US-122 did not include a seperate user guide for cubasis, so I am at the mercy of those of you who already know how to use it.

Once again, I thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks.

I'm dumb, but I'm not that dumb. Tried that about 4 seconds into the process. Guess I'll have to find a manual. Tascam doesn't bother to give you one with the US-122.

Hey, thanks for ALL of your help. You guys are the best! It's great to know I can come here to the homerecording.com user forums and get so many replies to the most basic question I can possible imagine.

Thanks again!

Blak Jak Balla said:
Hey, thanks for ALL of your help. You guys are the best! It's great to know I can come here to the homerecording.com user forums and get so many replies to the most basic question I can possible imagine.

Thanks again!
I would have posted exactly what Tomy posted.....

Maybe if you give some more useful detail about what you tried or didn't try then you'd get a better response - as it is, it seemed you were asking a basic question requiring a basic answer........

:rolleyes:

You'll get more out of this if you help us help you............

OK. Let me try to be more detailed...

I can't get two tracks highlighted. When one is armed and ready to go, I can not arm the second track. The problem is that I can't enable two tracks to record at the same time. Basically all I can do is record one track, then go back and record another track, etc. I need to be able to record two at one time but it's not happening!

In what little bit of a manual Tascam does provide, it mentions that Cubasis only supports one input for recording. Is this the problem? Can I not have a microphone plugged in to one input and a guitar plugged into another and record them both at the same time? This seems unlikely. How can any modern piece of equipment not be able to do this?

Can Cubasis even record two things at the same time?

I know I am just missing something here, but I have been looking off and on for weeks and I just can't seem to figure it out. I can record one track and go back and record another on top of it, but that's not at all what I am hoping to do.

Simply stated...

How do I highlight two tracks to record at the same time? How do I enable multiple inputs?

I feel like a moron for asking that, but I've tried everything.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Blak, I used Cubase VST but haven't used Cubasis, but in may ways they are similar.

In Cubase VST 5.x there is a feature called "multirecord" that you must explicitely turn on. Otherwise you can only record to a single track by selecting it. Look to see if you have such an option... it should be under...er... Options I think... I am starting to forget since I switched to SX, anyways look for it under the menus. If Cubasis has this feature, once you turn it on, you'll see another column added in the arrange window next to the Mute/Solo/etc... columns. You arm the tracks by clicking there (not selecting a track).

Good luck!

To me it sounds like...

You have two tracks but they are both set to record from the SAME input. you can't record more than one track at once of the same source in cubase. If you arm a track that is routed to the same input, it will disarm the one that was previously armed

Make sure they are each set to record from a different input and you should be sailing.

Thanks very much to both of you!

I am not there yet, but this gives me something to go on.

Incidentally, I was finally able to get both to record, but it was still on a single track. I was very impressed with the sound quality though.

My next stupid question.....

How do I arm two inputs? It sounds to me like this is exactly the problem. I'll focus my efforts on this and see what happens.

Thank you once again. I honestly do appreciate your help!

In cubase sx I just pull up the track mixer and either above or below the fader look for a box that says where the input is comming from (with my delta 1010 I have inputs 1 through 8) then just select different inputs on a track by track basis and you should be able to multi record.

Also check to see if you have the multirecord turned on

And in your menus look for something that says VST Inputs and make sure that you enable all of them.

Once you get it set up save it as a template so you don't have to set it up every time.

Keep in mind I am using cubase sx so your actual mileage may vary but it is a starting point at least

If your tascam manual is saying the cubasis cannot support multiple inputs then the best you can do is pan the mic all the way to the left and pan the guitar all the way to the right and record ithe track in stereo. Afterward you should be able cut and paste that into 2 tracks.

Back