How to record MIDI sounds not already on sound card

achasse

2 related questions (I am a CWHS 9 user with an SB Live card):

1) My keyboard has sounds which are not among the MIDI sounds on the soundcard. How can use those sounds to record? I'm primarily taking about drum sounds, but there are others as well. I have General MIDI percussion sounds on the card which seem to let me record the sounds I'm playing on the keyboard, but I'm not sure how to choose the right patch (or how to mix and match, i.e., if I like the snare sound on one drum set but the cymbal sound on another and want to record them on separate tracks).

2) How do I use downloaded soundfonts? The Cakewalk directions indicate that I need some other program in order to use these...

Thanks much!
Adam

I've just gone through the same learning curve. Took me a week or so with help from this forum. You need a post from A1MixMan for this. Check out the recent thread running which will answer most of your question, if not all.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=33722

It will change your life! Promise.

And AlChuck is a guru on this issue, as many others as well. Also, use the search function in this forum, it is a very valuable source of info.

Best of luck

Paul

Adam,
First off, if you want to record the sounds from your keyboard I think you need to connect the 1/4inch left and right "line out" jacks on the back of the keyboard to your soundcard and record it as audio.
By connecting the keyboard with midi it is only sending midi information, not any actual sounds.
By loading soundfonts into you program or soundcard, (or any other samples it may understand) you can then play them with your midi keyboard.

If you look on the internet for soundfonts you might even find the original sounds of your keyboard in soundfont format.

Also you can make your own soundfonts from the ones you have and mix and match only the sounds you want.

Like Paul said, follow the link for more info on soundfonts.

Hope this helps,
A1MixMan

Back