How to record in Cubase LE5?

loldoaflip

Hey guys, I just received a Tascam US-1800 today and installed Cubase LE5 for recording purposes. I've always used Audacity due to simplicity, so I'm really lost when it comes to using this DAW, and I'm starting to get really stressed out :(

I know the first thing everyone is going to tell me is 'read the instruction manual', but I went through it and it really didn't help much since I'm dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff, and I'm slightly overwhelmed :/ So I was hoping you guys could take it easy on me and please walk me through the process of figuring out the right VST connections and settings. Just a little info:

-I'm recording drums and have 6 mics plugged into the first 6 XLR inputs of the 1800
-I'm (obviously) running the 1800 into my computer via the USB output since I want to record each mic on a separate track
-Earlier while messing around with settings, I was able to record onto 6 tracks and could see the waveforms, but they looked identical for each track so I don't think I successfully got the right input/output (?) for each track. Also, when I tried listening in playback, there was no sound.

What are you listening through?

Ok, crash course:

In Cubase, Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System>select the 1800 from the drop down menu. Also check the Release driver box while you are there.

Next, Devices>VST Connections (F4 shortcut). There, select the Inputs tab. You must create Bus for each input of the 1800 that you plan to use. Name them to make things easier. Don't mess with the default output. If you have, make it a single stereo out with 1L/2R selected.

Now, on each track (Project>Add Track>Audio>select Mono>Add Track) you must select the input source for each track. This is done in the 'Inspector' window. This if the left side pane in the project window (where you see the waveforms). Input and output selection icons kinda look like this: >] (input), [< (output. If you don't see that there, click on the track name at top of the Inspector, to pull up the right screen. You want each track to have it's own input source, or they will all record the same thing from the same bus.

Now, arm the track and hit record. After recording, you click the Monitor button for playback (looks like the side view of a speaker).

^you can make this automatically switch to playback mode by changing a preference. File>Preferences...>VST>select Tapemachine Style from the drop down menu for 'Auto Monitoring'.

See if that gets you running. :D

I am listening through a pair of monitors that I have plugged into the computer. And thank you very much for the run-through, it actually sounds really easy the way you described it haha :p I'm done messing with Cubase for the night but I will try this first thing tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

You want to listen to the headphone output or line out 1/2 (or Monitor Outs, which is just a duplicate of the headphone out, but at line level [this means the 'Mix' knob on the front of the 1800, controls the source of the output]) of the Tascam, otherwise you will have to change audio driver in Cubase, just to listen to playback. You can get adapters to use your computer speakers. Make sure to turn the Mix knob fully clockwise, in order to hear playback from the computer/Cubase/Youtube, whatever.

Oh, and change your default audio device in Windows (if that is what you are using) to the 1800. Start>Control Panel>Sound>make 1800 default speakers and recording device. All of your sounds will now use the 1800 exclusively. This is what you have it for. :)

And no problem helping you start out. A new DAW is always daunting, and until you have a basic understanding of it, the manual reads like a foreign language. This should get you up and running, then everything else will start to fall into place.

Cool, I'll definitely fix my speaker setup tomorrow, I know I have a few adapters laying around so one of them should be able to help me out :p And thanks again, I appreciate the help :D

Back