How to record harp and piano with these...

washingtonbc

I am looking for ideas on how to record a 30 second little piece of music. The instruments are grand piano and harp. I am recording in my church. It is a medium sized, Catholic church (denomination only mentioned to give you an idea of the size, etc). High ceilings, tiled floor.

I have a Yamaha AW16G recorder. I have two Oktava MC012 mics, a Rode Nt1, and many Shure beta58s. The instruments will be played and tracked together. I think that I will set the Oktavas up in a stereo configuration to collect the total sound from the two instruments. I think that I will put the Rode by the piano, or not....what do you think?

Thanks.

washingtonbc said:
I am looking for ideas on how to record a 30 second little piece of music. The instruments are grand piano and harp. I am recording in my church. It is a medium sized, Catholic church (denomination only mentioned to give you an idea of the size, etc). High ceilings, tiled floor.

I have a Yamaha AW16G recorder. I have two Oktava MC012 mics, a Rode Nt1, and many Shure beta58s. The instruments will be played and tracked together. I think that I will set the Oktavas up in a stereo configuration to collect the total sound from the two instruments. I think that I will put the Rode by the piano, or not....what do you think?

Thanks.

I'd personally try to take advantage of the hall as much as possible. Set up the Oktavas as a stereo pair in an X/Y configuration, then move it around until you get just the right balance between reflected sound and direct sound.

Back