how to record bass boom?

brian_ka7

Does anyone know how to record the big low frequency booms you can hear (for example) in metal music? I typically hear them at the start of a big breakdown. I can't think of another way to describe it.

I'm using ProTools 8. I haven't found anything in the plug-ins yet but if anyone has some input that would be great. Thanks. :)

If your trying to get low end from a bass guitar. I would say use a bass guitar with active electronics and a good bass amp or pre amp. Ampeg does this well.

For just a sonic boom for recording there has to be a vst intrument with patch. To reproduce it live you would have to use some sort of drum trigger that is plugged in some sort of sampler or drum module or play with a tape (which could be hell).

I had an Alesis DM Pro electronic drum "brain" that had a great low frequency boom setting. It came factory-assigned to the kick trigger on the electronic kit. I would guess the new Alesis drum modules probably still have that sample.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have read closer...I thought you were talking about hip-hop and top 40 type of rhythmic kick drum "booms".

Last edited:
Generally it's a combination of low-tuning, the bass and guitars dropping to their
lowest range at the same time (buildup of frequencies), the kick drum adding to
their rhythm, and boosts in the bass frequencies (kick and/or bass guitar).

Also. a good deal of compression when mastering. Pre-master, this "boom" part
would have been a loud part mainly in the bass/sub-bass frequencies, while
everything else stayed put. By applying compression to the master 2-track, the
compressor reacts to this boom of the bass frequencies, and brings all other
frequencies down with it, making the "drop" seem more explosive and powerful.

I'm not sure how correct I am, but this is how I would try and achieve that
effect.

...or you can download FL studio for free...
The BOOM (808 -909 kick) is there,..just gotta do a little modification.
...or if you are wanting to work with this sound constantly,..buy a Korg er-1 electribe or a Roland sh-32,..they have plenty of BOOMS!:D
I play and record hardcore industrial music with this sound,...
(The sound that vibrates the whole venue)
and I've gotten excellent results from these options.

the big low frequency booms you can hear (for example) in metal music? I typically hear them at the start of a big breakdown.

HATEBREED, FEAR FACTORY, SOULFLY, MUSHROOMHEAD, etc...
all of them use this "BOOM" live, and on their recordings.

Thanks for all of the responses! :)
I found some samples online that sound alright. I also tried to make one on ProTools but I won't know how it sounds until its mixed down and whatnot.

Should the bass drop be noticealbe while monitoring through headphones? Or is it something that you hear more through larger speakers with a sub after its mastered?

Back