How to properly give out your music?

Badtz

If one plans to give out a copy of their music to a DJ/producer via mail or music event....

is there anything specific that should be written on there? ["demo only"? "for non-commercial puposes"? etc.]

or does it not matter?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

im certainly no master at it, but in the past here is what i have done:

1. contact info (name, cell number, email, website)
2. Copyright Protected, All Rights Reserved
3. artist name
4. track listing

not in that order however

The CD will only contain 1-2 songs.

If you write "Copyright, All rights reserved" .... does that really protect you from plagerism? [is there a process you must do to "copyright" a song] ?

pROTECTION ? there is no protection from being copied illegally. its gonna happen. however, there is a process to follow, so that if someone who copies your music product illegally, and makes some serious $ off of it, without ever giving you any significant credit or share of the profits . . . .

YOU CAN GET AT THEM!!!!!! (OF COURSE, GETTING AT THEM IN THIS SCENARIO WILL REQUIRE THE $ TO HIRE A DECENT LAWYER . . . OPERATIVE WORD IS DECENT . . . U GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR . . . OR DONT PAY FOR . . .

THE PROCESS ? LIBRARY OF CONGRESS . . . COPYRIGHT OFFICE . . . THERE IS TOO MUCH INFO FOR ME TO ABBREVIATE HERE, SO JUST CHECK THEM OUT . . . MOST ALL BVOOKS ON MUSIC BUSINESS (LIBRARY OR BOOKSTORE) WILL GIVE YOU GOOD INFO AS WELL

A LOT OF TALK ABOUT THE "POORMAN'S COPYRIGHT" OUT THERE . . . ITS QUESTIONABLE . . . UNTIL I HEAR IT FROM A LAWYER--MYSELF-- I THINK IT REMAINS QUESTIONABLE

SOME SAY ITS VALID, OTHERS SAY ITS NOT. I HAVE YET TO HEAR A GOOD ATTORNEY SPEAK ON IT.

WHAT IS IT?
--MAIL A COPY OF YOUR PRODUCT TO YOURSELF AND DO NOT OPEN IT, UNTIL YOU GET TO COURT BEBAUSE THE SHIT HAS HIT THE PROVERBIAL FAN.
S.A.S.E. = YOUR SONG ON CD OR TAPE, THE LYRICS WRITTEN OUT/TYPED UP, ANY OTHER INFO SUCH AS . . . INSPIRATION TO THE SONG, HOW YOU WROTE IT, WHEN YOU WROTE, WHEN YOU MADE CHANGES (A BASIS SONG'S DIARY) NAMES OF ANY PEOPLE YOU PLAN TO SEND THE SONG TO. YOU NEED DATES ON ALL OF THIS (WHEN YOU WORKED ON IT, WHEN YOU COMPLETED IT, ETC.)

HOLLA BACK (N PEEP OUT SOME OF MY MUSIC) THANKS
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/gullyjewelzmusic.htm

Copyright Info

According to copyright law, once your song is in a fixed, tangible form (i.e. CD, mp3 file, tape, etc) you own the copyright. Filing with the library of congress gives you a definite & legal copyright date in the event that you a) are infringed upon and b) can afford a good enough lawyer to do anything about it.

I speak from experience when I tell you, if you are any good and your music reaches enough people you will be pirated and your copyright will be infringed upon. If you do not have a lot of money in the bank to afford an a$$ kicking lawyer, and you are not Metallica there's basically nothing you can do.

If you think I'm kidding, look up the album "Axxe To Grind" and see how many distributors are selling the album and what they sell the album for. The artist has not been paid on a single copy ( the album was released on his own label).

This is not to discourage you, this is the truth of the biz.

Back