how to promote music - networking

gullyjewelz

Here are a couple of "generic" ideas.. perhaps others will build upon these...

1) pass out, post up, drop off . . .
a) business cards/fliers with your website, logo, song name, etc
b) cd/dvd samplers (one hot song/video with info from "a" on it as well)

2) live performances
a) open mics
b) book your own
c) collabo with other artists to set up your own shows/concerts
---------im always available :D

3) online email blasts
this is costly so it might be good to go in with someone else to defray the costs
---------im always available :D

I think the number one thing is to have many friends. Might seem a bit obvious, but the best place to start is the people that know you and love you and believe in you. They're not only going to buy your stuff, they're gonna spread it out for you.

As far as I've seen, unsolicited attention (such as e-mails, cold-calling people, dropping off demos at labels, pulling over people in the street, etc. etc.) rarely works. Build on what you already have.

I am trying with businesscards with download codes on the back.. got a couple thousand, I'll let you know what happens when they're all gone..

You touch on a lot of topics (downloads/CD's/Stores/Marketing) but you have no details - plus I'm here to make MONEY - so I'm out.

You could go to a concert for an artist that sounds similar to you, and then hand out download cards (cheaper than cds, but if you feel like cds, go for it.) I get business cards on vista print pretty cheap

doing free live shows seems like it would help. Just make sure you're doing the live show in a location that would attract the type of fans you're most likely to want.

Give your fans something of value while social networking. Let them in on the recording process, tell them when you're writing new songs and so on. They will enjoy hearing about your day to day life to a certain extent, but remember to deliver the goods as well.

Well passing out flyers and what not is good and bad. For 1, alot of people simply dont give a d***. Thats why (at least here) promoters post up posters and then just throw flyers on the ground.

All those are great ideas, self made, but i believe the problem is alot of people really dont know what NETWORKING really is today..IMO..Instead of whatsup, what do you do, and a conversation, its check out my new hot track.

I recently visited a group on facebook for producers and beatmakers and artists, and it was nothing more than a bunch of people posting links to their "next big hit." So i put out if anyone actually wants to NETWORK lets do something.

Emails are awesome, I can reply directly off my phone anywhere! #Trilltrax

Video blogs! Video literally every single thing you do! If it's just the band/artist goofing off somewhere or a surprise acoustic performance at a coffee shop or videoing the recording of a new song, practices, everything. That way you cover a vast array of subjects besides just your music, it's your lifestyle people will learn to like and follow.

Youtube is one of the least utilized resources out there, and it's the easiest way to reach people across the world in a entertaining sort of way.

Fliers can work if you know your target audience and can focus certain key areas of promotion. For the most part though it can be a HUGE waste of time and money. It's really best to leave this up to the clubs and venues if possible, they can pass them out to people that attend their business during other events.

A fun one I make sure I do when ever I'm playing with a band is going around town, malls, shops, etc with an MP3 recording on an Ipod and ask people to take a listen and tell them about an upcoming show. (I think there was a good charlotte video of something like that)

Getting airplay on the radio is the best IMO. You target the right age group for your music, your targeting people that listen to music like yours.

There's also sending in reviews or promos to newspapers and magazines. If you have a pre-written article about a band or artist and it's actually well put together and good and you give it to the newspaper they'll use it. They just got free material to fill up some space in the "entertainment" section and you just got free advertising.

Networking is one of the most important details when promoting music online. You cannot expect everyone to come to you – you must put effort into gaining a fan base. There are several different ways to network, give advice or expertise, and build your name on the web, but they require work. MySpace and Facebook are two very powerful social networking sites, especially in the music business. However, just creating a profile is not enough. You must utilize every application the social networking sites offer.

And it may be somewhat obvious, but use online social media together. Don't post something on youtube and not reference it on facebook or twitter. If you do something use every tool you have to let people know about it.

Back