How to play a 12 string guitar?

hawk said:
Yes on the strings question or yes it's a newb question? :) JK

That technique sounds interesting. I can't fathom how one can do that with nails but hey, you learn something new every day.

Honestly I haven't had nails in about 15 years, but it's not a bother at all on lute or any other nylon-strung instrument. Steel string is tougher; I used my rather thick callouses to fingerpick a 12-string. It was tough to generate any kind of reasonable volume. But then I haven't played a 12-string in about 15 years either.

I'd guess many serious 12-string players would opt for fingerpicks, which I've never used.

I don't use fingerpicks. I find a 12 is just as easy to fingerpick as a 6 is. But I have been playing 12s for 30 years or so.

http://home.comcast.net/~bonrox/guitars/roxy.htm

That is my custom 12 from Gibson. I have a couple of accoustic 12s also. I find the sound is awsome on recordings. It's very full of life and doesn't need many effects. Styx used 12s a lot, as well as Zepplin.

hawk said:
Yes on the strings question or yes it's a newb question? :) JK

That technique sounds interesting. I can't fathom how one can do that with nails but hey, you learn something new every day.

I play nylon string and I've had a few twelve strings. It's really not much of a stretch to finger pick it. It takes some getting used to but it's not a whole new technique. I think people see a twelve string and imagine complexity into it but really it's played no different to a 6 string.

A few years ago, I decided that total immersion was the way for me to learn fingerpicking. I put my picks away, and for two years I used only my fingers. My home guitar was a six-string, and the 12 was at work. I practiced on each, every day. Anything I was learning on a six-string, I also played on a 12.

Even though I have what some consider to be a pretty loud 12-string (Guild JF30-12), I really had to yank the strings to get sound out of it without a pick. So with the flesh of your fingertips, or even with fingernails, the projection was minimal. But I played everything. Single string (single course, as above) leads, bass-note turnarounds, even bends. So I recommend trying your whole repertoire out on your 12 to find out what works and what doesn't.

I eventually joined a church group. My 6-string had intonation problems, so I played my 12 in church every week, and continued to fingerpick. Even miked, I had trouble getting the sound out. (The exaggerated yanking and pulling on the strings gave an interesting and I would say intense backing for some solo gospel/bluesy songs in our repertoire.)

I switched to a pick, eventually, and get the full clangy sound you want a 12-string to have. Now and then, I try finger picks, but have not yet mastered them.

A few points that haven't been brought up yet:
1. It takes a lot more left-hand power to fret a 12. Especially in the beginning, you'll use barre chords less.
2. The 12 is not as "fast" as a six-string, so single-note transitions and grace notes that just happen on a six will take some practice to get right on a 12.
3. I have heard that Leadbelly tuned his guitar way down, (to C, maybe), which really changes the sound, especially the bass notes, making them, to my ears, almost piano-like.
4. Current acoustic players: take a listen to Paul Geremia

David Katauskas said:
LOL...c'mon...they weren't that bad until later in their career. :D

Actually, I saw them last year with REO Speedwagon. I am here to tell you that rock and roll will not keep you young. There is a reason that somone invented retirment. But overall, they were not to bad at all. I did enjoy the show.

mshilarious said:
I'd guess many serious 12-string players would opt for fingerpicks, which I've never used.

Wouldn't advise using fingerpicks, they have in the past been the cause of many cases of tendonitis for many guitarists. And if theres one thing you dont want as a guitarist, its tendonitis.

Back