How to pan bongos?

Humbucker

I am working on a song that is kinda folky/poppy in style and to keep things simple I recorded a mono bongo track for it using 1 SM58. I have no idea how to pan it - in the middle it just doesn't sound right to me, neither does copying it and putting the 2 differing degrees to each side. If I'd have recorded it in stereo, I'd have probably just used a stereo widener, but as I recorded it in the way I did I am kinda at a loss as to what to do. I've never recorded/mixed bongos before ya see :confused: Any suggestions/advice much appreciated :)

Record them in stereo.

If you only have that mono track, maybe duplicate it, and use volume automation/envelopes to mute one track while the other is playing, but that can sound awkward or obvious without a bunch of other stuff going on.

There is a free plugin called mda Stereo. Works really well, try it:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/797.html

I can't record it in stereo as I only have one 58, I was considering using that along with my SP C1 but I didn't think it would sound so good. I think I have that MDA plug, I'll give it a try - many thanks :)

I am working on a song that is kinda folky/poppy in style and to keep things simple I recorded a mono bongo track for it using 1 SM58. I have no idea how to pan it - in the middle it just doesn't sound right to me, neither does copying it and putting the 2 differing degrees to each side. If I'd have recorded it in stereo, I'd have probably just used a stereo widener, but as I recorded it in the way I did I am kinda at a loss as to what to do. I've never recorded/mixed bongos before ya see :confused: Any suggestions/advice much appreciated :)
You have a whole soundstage of 180° in front of you. Middle and to the edges are NOT your only choices. And while stereo can be nice, it is far from necessary.

What you need to do is look at the mix in total and find a good overall balance. What other instruments are there, and what is each instrument's part in the arrangement/mix? Then build a balanced soundstage around that, using more than just LCR (Left, Center, Right) panning.

General 4D principles here, apply only as required:

- in general you'll want to pan the skins to a side (not all the way) opposite of another instrument with similar arrangement density that has similar frequency forments or timbre. Try to balance your frequencies left and right as well as you density.

- in general, if the instrument is playing counterpoint to or sharing lead with another instrument or main vocal, try panning them opposite and just a bit off center from each other. For example, if the vocals are calling and the bongos are responding or filling to the vocals, pan the vocals maybe 15%-25% (give or take) one way and the bongos 15%-25% the other.

- if it's a very thin mix with a lot of space and not a lot of instruments or density, try panning the bongos 25-50% (give or take) one way, and a wet reverb of that track the same amount the other way.

G.

1)close your eyes
2)pan the bongos back and forth
3)stop when they're in the position that sounds "best" to you
4)open your eyes

I can't record it in stereo as I only have one 58, I was considering using that along with my SP C1 but I didn't think it would sound so good. I think I have that MDA plug, I'll give it a try - many thanks :)

The C1 would probably sound much much much better than the 58.

Record them in stereo.

I used 2 sm58's for the piece "Andrea Bongo", located in the link below.
See if you like that sound...if so, maybe consider using same?
I gave it some reverb, panned both pretty aggressively...,..anyway, that's what I came up with.
I had much fun recording these, prolly the most fun I had whilst recording an instrument.
Cheers,
Spit.

You have a whole soundstage of 180° in front of you. Middle and to the edges are NOT your only choices. And while stereo can be nice, it is far from necessary.

What you need to do is look at the mix in total and find a good overall balance. What other instruments are there, and what is each instrument's part in the arrangement/mix? Then build a balanced soundstage around that, using more than just LCR (Left, Center, Right) panning.

General 4D principles here, apply only as required:

- in general you'll want to pan the skins to a side (not all the way) opposite of another instrument with similar arrangement density that has similar frequency forments or timbre. Try to balance your frequencies left and right as well as you density.

- in general, if the instrument is playing counterpoint to or sharing lead with another instrument or main vocal, try panning them opposite and just a bit off center from each other. For example, if the vocals are calling and the bongos are responding or filling to the vocals, pan the vocals maybe 15%-25% (give or take) one way and the bongos 15%-25% the other.

- if it's a very thin mix with a lot of space and not a lot of instruments or density, try panning the bongos 25-50% (give or take) one way, and a wet reverb of that track the same amount the other way.

G.

ditto ... good comments

one of the last projects I worked on had bongos. I recorded in mono w/ a Beyer MC740 (MDC) and panned ~50% left to compliment the tamborine which was panned ~50% right.

A nice stereo reverb helped as well ...

^ not a bad idea or two there... regarding 'density' depending on if it were constant or not, I'd pan the hi hats and the bongos to 10 and 2 o'clock - I usually mix kit from the player's POV out of habit, as a drummer. Then again, if there IS no drumkit, I'd put them dead center, with a stereo room reverb.

But then, I also like mono.

Bingo!!
On the second suggestion, I like to automate the verb decay longer on an accenting beat-if the performed pattern is open enough. That is if you are really refering to bongos. Nothing personal, some folks interchange the nomenclature of bongos for congas.
IMO stereo miking bongos are not necessary, now congas can be to a great effect.

T

G.

Back