How to name tracks when burning into CD?

Reg3n

How do you name the tracks while burning into CD so that when u play the CD on a player the title and the artist is shown for the track? I am told that you cant embed such information into a CD but when i play some commercial CDs i do see the title and artist information. so i;m kinda confused. Help~ :confused:

You need a software and a burner supporting cd text.
For the software, I use Exact Audio Copy which is also useful for accurate ripping.
For the burner, any recent model should do, as raw 96 writing became pretty much standard.

Even discs with CD-TEXT information embedded won't necessarily show on WinAMP, or Windows Media Player, etc. Those aren't reading CD-TEXT. They're reading from databases (CDDB / GraceNote, FreeDB, etc.).

The data has to be submitted to the databases and propagate the system before the info will show on someone's PC.

Most software playback (WinAMP, WMP, etc.) will *not* read CD-TEXT whether embedded or not. Neither will most CD players in general. It's a little less rare in car stereos... But still relatively rare...

Massive Master: Even discs with CD-TEXT information embedded won't necessarily show on WinAMP, or Windows Media Player, etc. Those aren't reading CD-TEXT. They're reading from databases (CDDB / GraceNote, FreeDB, etc.).

The data has to be submitted to the databases and propagate the system before the info will show on someone's PC.

ohh~! No wonder i was told CDs dun embed such info yet i find media player displaying names of the titles and such . I'm still confused as to what are these databases though? Is it in our computer itself or its on the CD? So is there any way i can get to have my songs display the titles on media player?

I'm still confused as to what are these databases though? Is it in our computer itself or its on the CD? So is there any way i can get to have my songs display the titles on media player?
For instace here: http://www.freedb.org/ or here: http://tracktype.org/
Exact Audio Copy supports both of them, and it can read CD-Text as well.

Software players are usually preconfigured to use some data base, and you have to grant access in your firewall, of course, so choose a trustworthy player, if you want to use them.

Even discs with CD-TEXT information embedded won't necessarily show on WinAMP, or Windows Media Player, etc. Those aren't reading CD-TEXT. They're reading from databases (CDDB / GraceNote, FreeDB, etc.).

Most software playback (WinAMP, WMP, etc.) will *not* read CD-TEXT whether embedded or not. Neither will most CD players in general. It's a little less rare in car stereos... But still relatively rare...
John, this reminded me of something that happened to me a few nights ago that I don't know how to explain...

I was at a friend's house letting him rip one track off of one of my audio CDs so he could learn the song and practice it. He ripped it off of a standard CD into Real Media Player. The song names, album cover art, and album deccription came up in his RM player, which is of course a cool feature.

However, this was a disc that I bought back in 1982, back when CDs were first coming out, and loooong before there was any CD text, Internet, etc.

How did the player ID the disc? Is there a CD equivalent of an ISBN number encoded onto the disc somehwere?

G.

I'm still confused as to what are these databases though? Is it in our computer itself or its on the CD?
The databases are on the internet. You put the CD in and the player goes out to the internet to find the information.

The databases are on the internet. You put the CD in and the player goes out to the internet to find the information.
Based on what? Is there a ISBN/Library of Congress type of serial number digitally encoded on the disc, or is it based upon some kind of sonic fingerprint matching?

G.

Based on what? Is there a ISBN/Library of Congress type of serial number digitally encoded on the disc, or is it based upon some kind of sonic fingerprint matching?

G.

Gracenote uses acoustic recognition, from their site:

"Audio Waveform Recognition Technology
Using audio waveform fingerprint technology, MusicID can identify individual songs or albums in a user's collection regardless of source, format or tag information."

Also see:
http://www.scottajones.com/index.php?q=gracenote_defends_its_evolution

How did the player ID the disc?
I think, they do some hash of the TOC, since that is basic data, every drive can read. It is in fact not foolproof, thus sometimes, players let you select the correct album from a multiple choice.
If you really need to know the exact method, download an open source player and look at the code.
Is there a CD equivalent of an ISBN number encoded onto the disc somehwere?
Eventhough not used by those data bases afaIk, there is indeed such information on a typical CD. It is not mandatory, though most CD's have the ISRC's for each track encoded in the subchannel along with the timecode.

I don't wiki. Hash and drugs are one thing, but wikiality is just plain stupid. I'm not THAT irresponsible. ;) :D.

Seriously, that article that Tom linked to above explains it well. They do indeed base their algorithm upon TOC DBs, but they take it further than just that because of uncertanties and variabilities in the TOC that can creep in over time in the production process.

G.

They read the TOC of the disc and find a match. Sometimes you'll have to choose which disc is the one you're listening to to get the info.

And when I was young, I once smoked some hash off the edge of a table (a.k.a. "Waterfalls").

But I didn't inhale. :eek:

Last edited:
Back