How to mount acoustic foam???

Purpleb

I have some foot by foot tiles i want to mount on the wall, I don't want to use a spray or glue. I was wondering if there is some kind of double sided tape that can do the job??

I tried carpet tape, it won't work

someone said try double sided duct tape, i am going to pick some up later today, does anyone else know what else can do the trick?

Thanks

Wow tried double sided duct tape and it sucks, so does that foam tape, i don't think i am going to be able to do it with the tape.

I know there is tubetak that auralex sells, is that the same thing as something i can get from a hardware store??

liguid nails. it comes in a caulking tube. You put some one press it together and then pull the foam back off for a while. Then reapply. I'd recomend buying some thin fiberboard or something to mount it to and then hang. Unless you want to screw up your walls pretty bad.

F.S.

I used very short, thin nails (I was mounting on drywall). Just tap a few times (not too deep into the wall - just enough to hold)

Allows for a lot more flexibility than glue and only leaves very small holes - rather than the gum residue from double side tape (and candidly, I though the double sided tape did not work well at all)

I thought i would try the t pin idea i picked some up today. there are pluses and minuses.

Pluses:
On the sidewall all i need is one pin to keep up a piece of the foam.
The pins are Really cheap.

Minuses:
I am using them on drywall and they are a pain to push in with my thumbs, i tried tapping it with a hammer and most of the time it bends the t pin.
On the ceiling you would have to at least use two pins and if not exactly positioned right the middle of the piece of foam would hang down a little (which looks horrible), meaning you probably need another pin in the middle, which is a big pain.

I tried using picture nails for the ceiling and its a 50 - 50 shot the foam doesn't slide threw the nail.

Do they make anything like a t pin that can be hammered?? (that would be perfect)
I really like the t pins because they are really skinny and the holes they leave are really not noticable, only if they made something that skinny with a big head like the t pin that is strong enough to be hammered that would be perfect i would think.

Anyone else know any other ways to mount the foam on the ceiling?

I'm skinny with a big head.... And I used to get hammered all the time;)

You might think I'm shitting you, but it's true!

F.S.

I've seen some double sided foam tape that will hold almost anything. Could you install an insert into the foam and use a high quality double sided tape between the insert and wall? I did some testing on bonding wood to material similar to drywall with a strip of 1" double sided foam tape and you couldn't get it off without getting a screwdriver under the edge and slowly prying it. Tough to get off without damaging the materials we were bonding. If you had a wood insert installed in the foam and used a good tape you probably couldn't get it off the wall or roof without completely tearing the foam appart. That might be a problem I guess.

I used everything that has been mentioned here! The last product I used was the Tube-Tak from Auralex. There is similar products out there but at least the Tube-Tak won't eat into the foam.
I mounted mine on thin boards and then fixed the boards to the wall as was mentioned earlier.

Gorty said:
I used everything that has been mentioned here! The last product I used was the Tube-Tak from Auralex. There is similar products out there but at least the Tube-Tak won't eat into the foam.
I mounted mine on thin boards and then fixed the boards to the wall as was mentioned earlier.

Yep, Liquid nails has a foam formula too. Works well.LN-604

****edit**** Just to make it easier to find. The product I used was Liquid Nails Projects & foamboard, part number LN-604. I was able to mount to pegboard with a spot on each corner and one in he middle then later arch the boards pretty drasticly with out any issues. Does require set up time. I found it at a local building supply store. A hot tub store may be a god source too because it's recomended for foam insulation under the tub.

F.S.

Last edited:
ARLENE'S FOAMTASTIC GLUE
Like white glue; available at any sewing/crafts store. A $5 bottle will do over 60 tiles (you only need a squiggle).
My tiles have been up for two years with no drops.

I mounted my tiles on 20"x40" pieces of cheap hardboard (one 4'x8' sheet did 6 panels).
Each panel was mounted on my walls with 2 standard drywall plastic plugs with screws; I can take down the panels in minutes and easily paint or patch the holes if I ever move.

http://www.palmcitystudios.com/timobrien/imgs/studio.jpg

Back