how to mix down a track!

kevin C.

i need to know of some good techniques when mixxing down a track in cool edit!!

like in verses, choruses, addlibs

EQ levels
Filters

and you know just to make it sound a little better!!

rap music would be the way i want it to sound like!

Does this sound familiar?

OK here is the answer to this and all other questions like this: There is no one answer.

You have to go through this process:
1. Listen to the track that you recorded
2. Imagine the sound you want the track to have
3. Do what ever it takes to turn the track you have into the track you want using EQ, compression, etc...

"Better" means different things to different people, add that to the fact that any one track doesn't sound like any other track to start out with, you can imagine that there are no magic settings that will make everything wonderful.

Now, how long is a string? (Sorry for stealing your lines Farview) :):eek::D

There is no one answer.

You have to go through this process:
1. Listen to the track that you recorded
2. Imagine the sound you want the track to have
3. Do what ever it takes to turn the track you have into the track you want...
Yep.

and you know just to make it sound a little better!!
It's magic as much as science, and that's what makes it so addictive.

sorry bro, can't help ya here.....

there is no default process to it, what some may do at the end of their mix, i might end up doing at the begining, what some use different plug-ins for might be different from what i might use them for... and etc.

at the end of the day, get comfortable with using the different functions you have, and once you understand the purpose of them, you should be able to find ya own comfort zone of steps to your mixing through trial and error.......

it's almost like a puzzle even, where one may have the same identical puzzle but ..... for me, just off how the track sounds once i'm done recording starts off how i wanna approach it, mix-wise!

sorry bro, can't help ya here.....

there is no default process to it, what some may do at the end of their mix, i might end up doing at the begining, what some use different plug-ins for might be different from what i might use them for... and etc.

at the end of the day, get comfortable with using the different functions you have, and once you understand the purpose of them, you should be able to find ya own comfort zone of steps to your mixing through trial and error.......

it's almost like a puzzle even, where one may have the same identical puzzle but ..... for me, just off how the track sounds once i'm done recording starts off how i wanna approach it, mix-wise!

Whole post is right but what in the hell does that last part mean? :D

Whole post is right but what in the hell does that last part mean? :D

lmao, i was just saying once i got my vocals recorded, depending on how the unaltered take sounds, i get an idea of what steps and applications i want to incorporate into the mix

dont mind me, i just try alot of different, unconventional stuff...

your goal is to make everything sound clear and in its own place in the mix (EQ and panning) having the right balance (volume and dynamics) and finally making it interesting. find what element makes the song interesting and play it up

Back