How to mic up a drum kit!

mics?

They look like maybe RE 20or27's?Hard to tell. Man what a sloppy set up! Is this a studio set or live? My god I cant imagine it's a live setup.Can you say overkill?Jim

Recording drums is probably the hardest things to record with a good sound. Infact, i spent nearly 6 hours trying to get the best sound from this drum set. well. i found that a sm-57 on just about everything works well except for kick and overhead. but it really depends on what kind of sound you want. make sure you keep your preamps as low as you can and bring your levels higher. also, with the kick, i recommend you take the front head off. then get the kick mic up in there. the reason is because the front head of the kick has alot of resonance. i have a nady drum mic set. i dont know much about it but it sound alright to me. i also found out through experimenting, is to get the head of the mic as close to the head of the drum head as you can, this stops phasing problems. however that doesnt leave a very roomy sound to the drum, so youll have to experiment in what you like better.

try some stuff, really with drums you just have to experiment. just get some good sm-57s for the drums. then you can also use them for other things.

That picture is of a professional, fairly well know band who recently have been in the studio recording some stuff... that picture appeared on their website and I thought 'cool, look at all those mics and all that cable'. I have enough problems de-tangling my few cables at home... I can't imagine what is must be like with all those cables

Spot on ametth ;)

That picture shouldn't sicken you anyway... that's what we should be aspiring to... plus now whenever anyone posts 'how do I mic up a drum kit?'... just refer 'em to that picture :D

I like that:D, treat all overkilled questions with an overkilled picture.

I can see where a mic setup like that would help if you need the perfect sound. I also like how the cables are colour coded.
I am pretty sure the overheads arn't RE20/27's, It's kinda hard to see though.

Cheers,
omni...

I agree

I agree with Darnold,57's are really pretty damn good for drums for the working man.I've done a lot of recording in the past 6 years and that was pretty much it for snare,toms.A nice AKG 112 or baby sENNHEISER 421 for kick.Condenser for overhead,mic hihat? eh, forgetit, never really helps me. Overheads seen to do it. I think I've got some sure 6.1? for toms now. Dont really hear a lot of difference but I've just bid on some more 421'S ,THE'LL be nice,Jim

Back