How To Make Vocals Thicker/Fatter

You mean other than having either Luciano Pavarotti, Meat Loaf or Flo from Flo & Eddie be the vocalist? :p

First, don't wait for the mastering stage to get it done.

Second, try switching to a dynamic mic and have the vocalist get more intimate with the mic so they can take some advantage of the proximity effect.

Also, if it's a male singer, try lowering the mic a bit down toward their chest. Or, keep the vocal mic as it is and add a second one pointed at the chest. (If it's a hot chick, use a camera instead of a mic :D)

Then you can bing the Internet for "Motown compression" and apply that technique to the mix.

EQ.

Or just get that short dark-haired guy from the Statler Brother to do the singing.

:)

G.

Also, if it's a male singer, try lowering the mic a bit down toward their chest. Or, keep the vocal mic as it is and add a second one pointed at the chest. (If it's a hot chick, use a camera instead of a mic :D)

Then you can bing the Internet for "Motown compression" and apply that technique to the mix.

EQ.

Or just get that short dark-haired guy from the Statler Brother to do the singing.

:)

G.

Hahaha, thankyou very much.
i like the camera idea ;)
and why do you lower it towards the chest?

and why do you lower it towards the chest?
This doesn't always work, it depends upon the singer. But for many singers, much of the lower frequencies emanate much from the chest or lower throat, and not just out of the mouth, whereas the majority of the higher frequencies almost always come mostly from the upper neck and mouth.

G.

What SSG was trying to say is that posting this in a more appropriate forum might give you much more traffic than the three or four people that actually read the mastering forum.
Yeah, I assumed that since he posted in the mastering forum, that he was looking for a mastering solution. While some things can potentially be done in mastering if other options are not available, I was recommending the other options first.

G.

What SSG was trying to say is that posting this in a more appropriate forum might give you much more traffic than the three or four people that actually read the mastering forum.

Hmm. I use the 'New Posts' filter ('9 out of ten), but ultimately select from thread topic interest.

Would have skipped this one but I saw Glen stepped in.
..and a good one there as usual :)

Back