How to make my mic recoding "blend in" background track?

alejoviade

Hello All ,,
From the terminology used in the title you can already tell that I'm obviously very new to recording.
I recently purchased a Steinberg UR22to start recording some of my music (native american flute).

I decided to purchase some background tracks to enhance some of my recordings but have had a difficult time making the "mix" sound altogether (for lack f a better word). Although I obviously understand that there will be some difference between them ..they actually feel so "apart" that they sound pretty "low quality and even cheesy ?" oh well ...hope you know what I mean. the latency is also pretty bad (even after correcting buffer and all) ...

I use a PC windows 7, dual core processor 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, Shure microphone.

There is obviously a lot to learn, and do not know if what I bought as afar as the audio interface has anything to do with it.. oh by the way, the software is Cubase 6AI

thank you in advance for your advice,

Alex

I don't play the winds/brass , mostly voice/string/percussions( like a robot good). I can mic up a room.

Unfortuneatly In recent light, I don't think any body will let me offer even one sentence of advice without talking 2 pages up crap. Hmmm. Ill come up with something.

I want to ask you a couple questios. What are these accompany tracks that your talking about? Is there a forum where everbody shares fragments and clips to create song ideas( that sounds kinda cool)? Purchase? What format are they on, WAV ? I learned a lesson about this the other day. It sounds better to me if they are all wave files.

Alex, Is everything here understandable to you so far?

Last edited:
Hey Mark ! thanks for your reply. I have not looked at the video yet so I will reply to your first post.
The music comes from different websites Where I bought some of my Native American flutes. There, they offer some background tracks so you can purchase, download them and then use them as a backing track to play along with the flute.
They are usually (if not always) in mp3 format.
I basically open then DAW (cubase 6 in this case) and import the downloaded
music to one track (stereo mode using the provided ASIO that came with the software) and then I create another track (mono, also using the provided driver and all)
in this second track I record my flute....The problem is the lack of "blend", " unity" (sorry my terminology sucks). The tracks seem very "detached" ...is like my recording sound is from "far away" while the music is bold and "present". I thought it would latency in m recording? I have read mote than one web post and corrected everything there is t correct, yet......I cannot seem to blend the tracks ...as if they were recorded a the same time...

so I thought ...maybe , audio interface? should I buy something better? (within reason I can buy a "better" one but only if it really will make a difference, after all I do not see me using more than 3 tracks ...4 at most....

thank you !!!

hey Mark,
I just finished with your second post and watchi the video. I appreciate you taking the time, sincerely.

Not sure (mainly my own ignorance) how to apply the explanations given in the video.

Just for you to have an idea, I do my recording in the basement, (pretty well insualted and sound proof) using my shure sm-57 as the ONLY mic, I sit in fromt of it with one of my Native American Flutes (NAF) and while playi back the downloaded backing track, I play along (only using headset to monitor the reording), so ....the 2 mic set up I thnk is wa beyond my means and need at this time.

I'am also aware of some latency but my derstandng is that alough such is resent when momitoring your recording it should not when you just playing back....but for some reason...like I said before, the mp3 track and what I'am recording seem very "detached"..... (if that makes sense).....

Yes my MP3 tracks did too.

I had to leave it in wave to be mixed together.

X Y and A B stereo mic ing is not that difficult. Do you have a second mic (any type) , and interface that has two gained inputs?

Recording a flute in a room, X Y really cant go wrong. Do you want to try it?

Last edited:
It's not your interface. Your interface doesn't care about what you're describing. It's not latency. It's not the MP3. You don't need stereo miking on a mono instrument. That's silly.

What you're experiencing is very common. It's difficult to just blend an instrument in to an existing completed recording. You're not in the same place, space, and time that the backing tracks were done. You're most likely not using the same mics, or equipment that the original tracks utilized. You're not doing the same processing. What you're essentially trying to do is take a photograph and paint on top of it and have it all look like it belongs together. Know what I mean?

As for "sounding distant", did you record it that way? If it sounds detached, that's because it is. What I'd suggest is that you try to get the cleanest, clearest flute recording you can, and blend it using your track fader and probably some reverb and maybe a little compression. Reverb will give the illusion of space. Compression can flatten out the flute track to jiv with the probably compressed backing track. If you use it all correctly, along with setting the level correctly, you can blend that flute track into the rest of the music.

It's not your interface. It's not latency. It's not the MP3. You don't need stereo miking on a mono instrument. That's silly.
like it belongs together. Know what I mean?

Do you have enough information to say it is not the mp3 format?

You don't use more than one mic on your guitar amps? Should be A b or X Y. Those are mono sources. You want the stereo room , not a digital reverb.

Do you have enough information to say it is not the mp3 format?
Yes, I do.

You don't use more than one mic on your guitar amps? Should be A b or X Y. Those are mono sources. You want the stereo room , not a digital reverb.

Shut up. You don't know what you're talking about. This is why you get cyber-bodyslammed.

Hey,
If you could post a clip that'd be great.

The tracks seem very "detached" ...is like my recording sound is from "far away" while the music is bold and "present".

There's a good chance this is down to recording environment.
You hear of this all the time with rap vocals. Guys buy a sample pack or a backing track then have trouble getting their vocals to sound like part of it.

Thing is though, the same pack was all recorded in a nice studio and the vocal was recorded in an untreated bedroom.

Could that be it? Got an example clip?

Poster, if you cannot afford mic's to do stereo , cause they are expensive. You can make perfectly good cardiods. I have a schematic to build your own, PM me.

Do you have a radio shaq?

Back in the 80's a mic was 100 bucks and you made 3.50 /hr. I made these mics with polyester limiting caps and a9 volt preamp for milk money. I found them in a drawer not to long ago 20 years later. They are all missing their pop guards, bodies, and are busted up a bit. You can make good stuff with preminum components.

CAM00325.jpg

CAM00323.jpg

Oh man, someone make this stupid shit stop.

Stereo miking a mono source in a bad room with some MacGyver kit isn't going to solve his problem. In fact, stereo miking will probably make it worse.

Stereo miking a mono source in a bad room with some MacGyver kit isn't going to solve his problem. In fact, stereo miking will probably make it worse.

Yup. (But the "MacGyver kit" is pretty cool and I'm tempted to ask for those schematics.)

Stereo miking a mono source in a bad room.

Did he pm you a clip. How do you know the room is bad?

Forum operator please monitor this one, before greg tries to make a bunch of jokes that aren't funny.

thank you

I want to say thank you to all of you for your perspective and willingness to help...
The last thing I like to see is people fighting tough, I juste need some guidance and watching people fight will not help me....

you all have valid points in one way or another.. not sure about being silly though... just tying to learn and willing to do...

I imagine the environment (as sound proof and "ideal" as I may think it is) is far from what was used for most of the recordings I have mentioned. I will try to figure out how to post a clip and do so.

to answer some of the questions and suggestions, yes I do have to inputs (one shure sm57 and the other one is a condenser AT 3350 Lavalier mic that I attach to the flute directly when i play off my amp, so, yes two mics, to inputs with gain control but different types of mics.

Thank you for clarifying that the audio interface (steinberg UR22) has nothing to do with the problem ... I thought the latency was directly related to that and one of the contributing factors to the problem I described.
Also, I will chage the mp3 to wav and see if that helps any...

once again sincerely appreciate your input and willingness to help, I will keep checking back in and update you as I imtroduce some of the suggested changes !!

cheers,

Alex

Alex

Did he pm you a clip. How do you know the room is bad?

Forum operator please monitor this one, before greg tries to make a bunch of jokes that aren't funny.

You're the only joke around here these days.

No, he doesn't have to PM me a clip. The guy is tracking in a "well insulated and sound proof basement". That doesn't sound like a good acoustic live space to me. Not one in which someone would want to capture in a mic anyway. I know your trollish angle is to just spout random stuff that has nothing to do with anything in every thread, but did you actually even read his posts? Lol. Seriously dude. Get a grip. How can you conclude that he needs to build mics from scratch so he can stereo mic a mono source in a *probably* acoustically bad space to capture more room sound? That's just more nonsense from you. It's been a common theme since you got here.

Last edited:
I want to say thank you to all of you for your perspective and willingness to help...
The last thing I like to see is people fighting tough, I juste need some guidance and watching people fight will not help me....

you all have valid points in one way or another.. not sure about being silly though... just tying to learn and willing to do...

I imagine the environment (as sound proof and "ideal" as I may think it is) is far from what was used for most of the recordings I have mentioned. I will try to figure out how to post a clip and do so.

to answer some of the questions and suggestions, yes I do have to inputs (one shure sm57 and the other one is a condenser AT 3350 Lavalier mic that I attach to the flute directly when i play off my amp, so, yes two mics, to inputs with gain control but different types of mics.

Thank you for clarifying that the audio interface (steinberg UR22) has nothing to do with the problem ... I thought the latency was directly related to that and one of the contributing factors to the problem I described.
Also, I will chage the mp3 to wav and see if that helps any...

once again sincerely appreciate your input and willingness to help, I will keep checking back in and update you as I imtroduce some of the suggested changes !!

cheers,

Alex

Alex

I apologize for my part in junking up your thread. I'm just trying to give you practical ideas and not have you do things that don't need to be done.

no need to be sorry Greg, like I said, I take ALL the advice and will apply everybody's suggestions as I go along.

Regarding the basement. I take your point, maybe I just do mot have what it takes to make an fairly decent amateur recording (cannot afford to build Apple Studio in my house) .. what I meant by insulated was meaning to give you an idea, the walls are wood and not concrete, the ceiling is a hanging ceiling with ceiling tiles, and the floor is carpeted.

fa from being ideal at least is not a garage.... so. thought I would give as much information as possible since I do not know enough on this subject to determine what would be relevant or not to those who are trying t help.... it is all good,

thanks,
Alex

no need to be sorry Greg, like I said, I take ALL the advice and will apply everybody's suggestions as I go along.

Regarding the basement. I take your point, maybe I just do mot have what it takes to make an fairly decent amateur recording (cannot afford to build Apple Studio in my house) .. what I meant by insulated was meaning to give you an idea, the walls are wood and not concrete, the ceiling is a hanging ceiling with ceiling tiles, and the floor is carpeted.

fa from being ideal at least is not a garage.... so. thought I would give as much information as possible since I do not know enough on this subject to determine what would be relevant or not to those who are trying t help.... it is all good,

thanks,
Alex

That's not a problem though. You don't need abbey road studios to make a great home recording. I'm not dissing your room, I'm trying to tell you how to work around it. Most home recorders DO NOT have very good rooms to track in, but there are workarounds. I mentioned trying to get the cleanest track you can of your flute. Mic it close. I suggest this because you A) only have one mic, and B) your space is questionable. By getting a tight and clean close mic recording, you can add reverb later for some artificial space. That's not a problem because that's simply how most things are done in our little world, and reverb plug-ins are plentiful and many are very good. You're not going to use so much reverb that it becomes a problem. Most spaces aren't giant echo chambers. You'll just add a hint for some depth. I bet your track blends in adequately, nicely, if you get it right.

Back