How to make it sound the best

fatdan

I think about recording in a storage unit with a laptop,dynamic mic,and mic stand i'm going be using audacity or traxax.i'm doing rap music .I'm personally thinking i don't need more equipment than thatjust to do basic rap music.cus of cost not going buy a pop filter thinking i can fix that with the recording program.what would be the best ways for me to get the best out of my equipment

Welcome to HR, fatdan.

Hopefully the laptop will give you enough gain for the dynamic to work well. Other than that, you're on the right track. Depending on the dynamic, you may not need a pop filter. What kind of dynamic are we talking about?

I think about recording in a storage unit ...

Is it empty or full of stuff?

Aren't most storage units made out of some kind of sheet metal?
That's going to sound ass...with lots of hard/harsh reflections...especially if it's just an empty hull.
Best/cheapest you could do is buy a case of rigid fiberglass material...and just spread it around.
No need to make it pretty if it's only a temp setup. Later on, if you have a more formal space, you can build your own finished traps using that fiberglass...in the meantime you could just cover them with old bed sheets to keep the fibers from flying around (you don't want to be sucking in that shit).

If not that...maybe some old mattresses, carpets...etc...but don't record in an empty hull.

A pop filter costs what... $10... ?

Given the relatively explosive nature of rap vocals, it'd be the first thing on my list... Much easier to not have the problem than to "fix it in the mix".....

Well...not as bad as a condenser...but it would still be ugly recording in an empty all-metal space.

i figure all hiss and pops i could get ou with the program i'm on a tight i mean super tight budget i did'nt want to waste ny money we could always have the joints mastered

ps: common come close is great the best neptunes song hands down

i figure all hiss and pops i could get ou with the program i'm on a tight i mean super tight budget i did'nt want to waste ny money we could always have the joints mastered

Mastering doesn't remove hiss and pops, just fyi. That's your job.

Also, whether or not you are wasting money depends on whether you think your music is worth any.

not doing it for money . i do want it to sound decent really just doing it for the love.this be my first album ever recordered.as far the mastering i was'nt talking about the pop and hiss i guess i was'nt being clear.i was talking about the overall quality since where going to be recording in a storage unit .

Back