How to legalize cover song?

Pykon

Hi @ll!

My problem seemed to be simple, but...

I've recorded a cover song of Fiction Factory's "Heaven" or "Feels Like Heaven". I'd like to let it go in iTunes, eMusic and some worldwide MP3 services. In my country (Poland) there's no place to obtain DPD (digital download) license. I asked Harry Fox and that's what they told me:

- to buy dpd-license for a cover song I would have to run a US-based business

- their license allows me to sell my cover through US-based online services only (servers in US) (!!!)

- to buy a license I need to have US-registered credit card

That's a tone of obstacles! Even if I ask my US-family to pay for it, how the decibell can I know where the servers are? Do I have to buy an exclusive dpd-license for every one part of the world where I'm going to sell my cover?

I've tried to find the author – Kevin Patterson from Fiction Factory to ask for permission, but any door I'm knockin' are closed. The original record company went from hands to hands and is hard to even recognize for now, no answer from there too.

If anyone could show me the way how to make my song legal...

All The Best,

mike

The systems really suck, don't they? Even if you want to do what you are supposed to do... it often seems impossible.

This link probably won't help you (because it's for the US), but it might reveal a few things to others in a similar position.. so i'll post it anyway.

http://cdbaby.net/dd-covers

sorry i couldn't me of more assistance.

Hmm... I was always under the assumption that as long as you pay the royalties for each copy distributed, or sold, then you're covered.

Hi @ll!

My problem seemed to be simple, but...

I've recorded a cover song of Fiction Factory's "Heaven" or "Feels Like Heaven". I'd like to let it go in iTunes, eMusic and some worldwide MP3 services. In my country (Poland) there's no place to obtain DPD (digital download) license. I asked Harry Fox and that's what they told me:

- to buy dpd-license for a cover song I would have to run a US-based business

- their license allows me to sell my cover through US-based online services only (servers in US) (!!!)

- to buy a license I need to have US-registered credit card

That's a tone of obstacles! Even if I ask my US-family to pay for it, how the decibell can I know where the servers are? Do I have to buy an exclusive dpd-license for every one part of the world where I'm going to sell my cover?

I've tried to find the author – Kevin Patterson from Fiction Factory to ask for permission, but any door I'm knockin' are closed. The original record company went from hands to hands and is hard to even recognize for now, no answer from there too.

If anyone could show me the way how to make my song legal...

All The Best,

mike

Here is some info that might help you. All you need is a Mechanical License which is easily obtainable.

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/recording_cover_songs.html

Last edited:
Back