how to hook up a compressor

ikijapan

I'm not sure if I can hook up a compressor to this POS, but my friend has a behringer ACX1000 guitar/vocal amp, that sounds like crap. But, that's all he has to run his vocals through, and it does work. Obviously, this is just for band practice, not for recording anything, but I don't know how to hook it up.

There are many outputs on the back, and I think I need to work with the "mic send and mic return". But I'm not really sure.
Here's the website with a picture from the manual on page 9 of 15 being the inserts etc.
http://www.behringer.com/ACX1000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

If you don't want to look at the PDF, let me break down what is on the back:
There is a MASTER STEREO SEND AND RETURN
TAPE IN AND OUT
AUX IN
MIC SEND AND RETURN
INSTRUMENT SEND AND RETURN

Also, all the inputs are TR or maybe TRS, not sure, but they are not XLR...I guess that doesn't matter, I just need to get a cable that goes from XLR male to TR or something.

So, is it possible to use a compressor with this thing?

ikijapan said:
I'm not sure if I can hook up a compressor to this POS, but my friend has a behringer ACX1000 guitar/vocal amp, that sounds like crap. But, that's all he has to run his vocals through, and it does work. Obviously, this is just for band practice, not for recording anything, but I don't know how to hook it up.

There are many outputs on the back, and I think I need to work with the "mic send and mic return". But I'm not really sure.
Here's the website with a picture from the manual on page 9 of 15 being the inserts etc.
http://www.behringer.com/ACX1000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

If you don't want to look at the PDF, let me break down what is on the back:
There is a MASTER STEREO SEND AND RETURN
TAPE IN AND OUT
AUX IN
MIC SEND AND RETURN
INSTRUMENT SEND AND RETURN

Also, all the inputs are TR or maybe TRS, not sure, but they are not XLR...I guess that doesn't matter, I just need to get a cable that goes from XLR male to TR or something.

So, is it possible to use a compressor with this thing?

There are no TR jacks....
What do you want to hook it up to? If you just want to make noise, plug the mic in the "in" channel on the front. If you want to send a signal to record (though I can't imagine why) use the send
oops misread, why compress? If you must send it in the master loop with trs cables (or tr if ya can find em)

No, I want to hook up a compressor to it. And it definitely has either TR or TRS connections on the back, I plugged a guitar cable from it to a mixer just the other day...

right from your post
"stereo post-FX insert in the master section for outboard processors and a parallel tuner output." use trs cables

Big Kenny said:
right from your post
"stereo post-FX insert in the master section for outboard processors and a parallel tuner output." use trs cables

Not sure if I follow your response (or why you placed a post with a description of TS and TRS??), but would I plug the mic into the front of the amp and then the compressor into the FX insert of the master section? Would this allow me to use a compressor without a preamp...I mean would the Behringer act as a preamp, because I dont have an outboard preamp.

I posted the trs description because you were calling the cable tr (tip ring) that would be the shortest cable in the universe.
And Yes plug a mic in the front and compress as descibed in the amps desciption, though why you are wasting your time compressing a vocal out of that POS amp is beyond my ken.

Big Kenny said:
though why you are wasting your time compressing a vocal out of that POS amp is beyond my ken.

Well, maybe I shouldn't be. I hardly ever use outboard gear, but my thinking was this:

We are playing rock music. The amp is so weak that, when we set it up, we have to set it so that when he screams, it doesnt clip (obviously). But then, when he just sings regular, the volume is too low. So, if I compress it, he can scream and sing regular, or even low and it would be loud enough to hear.
Am I on the right track?

easy solution is to have him control the distance he is on the mic. make it good enough so you hear him well when he sings normal, and have him back off when he screams. unless he just wants to look cool and angry while he cups the mic to his face and probably damages it in the process.

Back