How to get "up close" sound recording vocal?

ebsmusic

I have a Neumann TLM-102 mic >Presonus BlueTube Dual Path preamp >Presonus Audiobox interface >DAW. The main issue I am having is getting a vocal sound that sounds like it's up close instead of like it's across the room. I know I have some acoustic issues that I will work on this weekend. Could it be I need a better preamp? Any advice would be helpful.

I hope you're right, that will save me some money, but I'm not super thrilled with the preamp anyway.

This might seem stupidly obvious, but make sure you're singing into the correct side of the mic.

And yeah, a lively room can fuck up some vocals. Fix that. And sing into the correct side of the mic. And fix the room.

What Greg & Steen said PLUSyou can get one of those shields that attach to the mic stand to stop refections from directly in front.
ALSO the FISHFILLETS suite of VSTs has Blockfish which is a compressor plus.
It has a preset that you can tweak that will give you a close mic experience - it's cale "close-up vocal" funnily enough. It coloours the track with some EQ (a little proximity effect like) as well as doing an intersting change to the dynamics.
This VST works best with, as do they all, a well recorded track so you might need to turn the mic around, treat the room and get used to the Blue Tube (I have one & they aren't too flash but aren't horrible either - just make sure you have the "tube" aspect dialled down as it really only adds noise).

I hope you're right, that will save me some money, but I'm not super thrilled with the preamp anyway.

Have you tried to forego the preamp and plug the mic directly to the interface?
The TLM 102 should be an active condenser mic, so you don't necessarily gain anything with a not so thrilling pre between the mic and the intefaces pres.

Anyways, this is excellent advice for recording vocals in a not so great room:

Put blankets up on hooks from the ceiling, or use mic stands to hang blankets or bedspreads.
Cheap and works like a charm.

Using the correct side of the mic.

Blockfish sounds interesting.

Yes, I finally figured out that the tube knob just adds noise, which defeats the purpose of the bluetube. I guess I could plug straight into the interface, but again, I thought the blue tube was a step up. If I don't find the sound I want with the room treatment, I'll probably look for a higher quality pre.

I've used blankets and sleeping bags, but am now building a recording shield with Safe n Sound insulation and burlap, that should do the trick.

Thanks for the tips!

Using the correct side of the mic.

Blockfish sounds interesting.

Yes, I finally figured out that the tube knob just adds noise, which defeats the purpose of the bluetube. I guess I could plug straight into the interface, but again, I thought the blue tube was a step up. If I don't find the sound I want with the room treatment, I'll probably look for a higher quality pre.

I've used blankets and sleeping bags, but am now building a recording shield with Safe n Sound insulation and burlap, that should do the trick.

Thanks for the tips!

The preamp used has absolutely zero impact on perceived proximity.
Sort your environment out.

Anyways, this is excellent advice for recording vocals in a not so great room:

Put blankets up on hooks from the ceiling, or use mic stands to hang blankets or bedspreads.
Cheap and works like a charm.

It make take some flutter echo out, but there's no charm in moving blanket sound absorption.

It make take some flutter echo out, but there's no charm in moving blanket sound absorption.

I should have mentioned more explicitly that I use big winter bedspreads, and have my "booth" (lack for a better term) kinda in the middle of my (smallish) room, so you get much more broadband absorption than you would expect.
Using big chunks of fibreglass will definitely be more helpful when it comes to lower endish reflections.
I'll be more careful of advertising methods in here,
but this is as charming as it gets for next-to-nothing.
From now on I refer to my spanking new sig:

I should have mentioned more explicitly that I use big winter bedspreads, and have my "booth" (lack for a better term) kinda in the middle of my (smallish) room, so you get much more broadband absorption than you would expect.
Using big chunks of fibreglass will definitely be more helpful when it comes to lower endish reflections.
I'll be more careful of advertising methods in here,
but this is as charming as it gets for next-to-nothing.
From now on I refer to my spanking new sig:

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but you are NOT getting broadband absorption from bedspreads. But if you are only recording in your 'booth', it doesn't make any difference, as vocals don't approach those low frequencies anyway. And you are correct - you DO get what you pay for - if you know what you are buying. Some people pay 100s of $$ for "acoustic foam" when they'd get much better results from buying/building bass traps.

I've got a moving blanket for cheap money (local only!) if anyone wants it! Used once (with no appreciable results, or wear!)

Last edited:
I don't mean to be disagreeable, but you are NOT getting broadband absorption from bedspreads. But if you are only recording in your 'booth', it doesn't make any difference, as vocals don't approach those low frequencies anyway.

That's 'broadband enough" in my terms. :D
It suffices to remove the "smallish room" stench from my tracks, and that makes it possible to track fairly decent vocals with a reasonably directional mic at my place.
Never claimed that it was great for distant micing of bass cabinets with an omni.
And double bass quintets would not even fit in my room to begin with... ;)

Yes, you need to sort out acoustics. Spending money on another pre amp to cure what is obviously an acoustic problem would be money down the drain.

Two things you CAN do:

First, with benefit of a good pop filter, work as close to the mics as you dare. The mathematics of acoustics is on your side--if you can halve the distance to the mic, you get 4 times as much sound level being recorded as compared to the room acoustic.

Second, don't listen to those who say that hanging movers' blankets or duvets isn't worth doing. Is it the same as a proper job of acoustic treatment? Of course not. Will it be streets ahead of what you have now? Yup.

My suggestion is make two "L" shaped frames out of cheap PVC pipes and fittings. Set them up so you can have a flat area of movers' blanket/duvet behind you and two "wings" coming up beside you (but not past/in front of you). Put this whole contraption near one wall of your room. If you can get something that diffuses the sound on the wall opposite you (bookshelves with uneven books, window with thick curtain, another movers' blanket , whatever, that helps a lot.

Again, it's not as good as a real acoustic treatment but, just because you can't go the whole nine yards, it doesn't mean you can't do something. FYI, many's the time news voice overs are recorded in hotel rooms with the reporter wearing a duvet off the bed over his head and mic. Sometimes you have to improvise.

Back