How to get this tone?

guitaristic

prophet of Dave
Ok, so I have a huge man-crush on Jared Leto from 30 Seconds to Mars. I find his voice to be one of my most favorite voices in all current bands right now, and like most things people admire, I strive to become like it :D This dude has a crazy range and such, but what I like the most is a certain tone he goes into when he is getting really intense. The below song around the 1-minute mark is what I'm referring to!

Now I don't know a ton about vocal terms and such, but what is the correct term for that tone or vocal technique he is using? It's like a blend between a scream and sung note, but just landing a bit more on the side of note. And how do I do it? I can hit those certain notes, but I want that tone. I already get sorta rock-raspy when I get up in that range naturally anyways! But he is like at a whole other level.

I don't see what the big deal is. Just shout that shit in pitch. That's all it sounds like he's doing to me. Sing loud. Yell that shit, but in pitch.

Yup, it just sounds like a really good rock n roll voice. I bet its hard to do that every night on tour, but some guys do it. But as far as vocal technique its probably not something a vocal instructer would recommend, but thats how alot of hard rock is done. By screaming.

Yeah I thought it was just from screaming possibly but it just sounds so much...clearer?? If that's the right word. Like it has an extra layer of air or "breathiness" on top. He must have really good technique if that's the case, cause he's been doing it for over a decade now and hasn't had any vocal problems I know of! He does it live too...flipping from soft to shouting just like he's flipping a switch lol. The thing that made me wonder is that every time I see him do this, he never looks like he's straining or exhaling a lot of air...

It is just screaming basically. The guy from Linkin Park does the same thing, along with many other singers. You can youtube adding rasp during a scream and it will show you the basics.

Yeah I thought it was just from screaming possibly but it just sounds so much...clearer?? If that's the right word. Like it has an extra layer of air or "breathiness" on top. He must have really good technique if that's the case, cause he's been doing it for over a decade now and hasn't had any vocal problems I know of! He does it live too...flipping from soft to shouting just like he's flipping a switch lol. The thing that made me wonder is that every time I see him do this, he never looks like he's straining or exhaling a lot of air...

I used to be in a band in which the singer had a really raspy, almost Lemmy-like voice, and he actually sang pretty quietly. He either learned how to do it like that or that was just his natural way. It really wasn't much louder than normal conversation. But to hear it live or recorded, you'd think he was belting it out.

My advice is to be happy with what you have. You are not Jared Leto and I think the biggest mistake a singer can make is trying to be someone he/she is not. Figure out your own vibe and go with it. You have different genetics so your voices will most likely sound differently. The raspy thing is really a natural thing. I don't think it is something one can cultivate. I could be wrong. Any vocal teachers here?

You can work on adding rasp, there are a few tutorials online you can find. I've done it but honestly it doesn't sound natural coming out of me and always seems forced. It may not be that way for everyone, not 100% sure. I tried it and can do it, but it's not for me. I would guess you can give it a try and learn if it's something you want to continue.

I hear at that 1 min , two voice layers in unsion. It is extremely polished studio voice, not a live sound. Never heard it before and listened to 30 seconds of it.

Make sure you have no genetics hold you back. Tonsils, adenoids, deviated septum. If any of that has chronic infection you cant sing. The chords will not vibrate correctly in the lyarnx. If you are going to expand chest to high C with pronunciation, no smoking, no drinking.

Rasp comes from vocal chord thickness, the more you sing the thinner/looser it gets, like when warming up. Then you can blow hard against thinner/looser cords to get good rock consonants. Watch out after 10 years youll start sounding like a kazoo.

When I was younger I sounded like...chris robinson black,crow. Kind of...clip.removed.

Learn how the consnants are prnuounced by recording and playing back your mimick. You will make break thru's.

Singing in the tenor range will allow you to hold long verses with same breath. It uses less air to maintain a high note.

Loose any region dialect or accent, unless your country.

[ATTACH

Last edited:
Back