how to get the live sound out of you mix

Jammer429

I don't know any other way to explain it so I am hoping you guys will know what I mean. I was listening to my mixes and some of the one from other studio and my got this live sound to then and I don't know how to get rid of it. lol I know this is probably a stupid queston but I have to learn somehow:D

yeah, throw it up here so we can hear it. I'm going to take a stab and say that the "live" sound is usually a combination of overly roomy sound and not so tight playing.

If it's overly roomy, either you need different or less reverb, or it was poorly mic'd, or it was recorded in a room that doesn't sound so great. If it's any of the last two, then all you can really do is retrack it.

Not to offend but the musicianship here is brutally lacking. The recording does sound live but the production itself isn't bad at all. The drummer needs to practice and track to a metronome. It sounds to me like all the instrumentation is struggling to keep time with the drums. Drumming is the backbone of metal and it has to be strong.

Not to offend but the musicianship here is brutally lacking. The recording does sound live but the production itself isn't bad at all. The drummer needs to practice and track to a metronome. It sounds to me like all the instrumentation is struggling to keep time with the drums. Drumming is the backbone of metal and it has to be strong.

lol the drummer they had wasn't that good he actually moved I took his spot lol I will upload so stuff when we start tracking again but any advice on how to get rid of the live sound?

Room treatment. I do alot of metal myself so I think I know what you are looking for. You want that tight in-your-face sound and room treatment is the way to go. Get hold of as many quality mics as you can. A lot of folks have different ways of capturing drums using 3 mics and such, but this is metal and you need as tight a sound as you can get. I would go for the standard 2 overheads and try my best to get everything its own mic and be careful of phase issues. It takes time to get that punchy tight metal drum sound. Put some kind of sound absorbing material around your kit. I wouldn't bother with room mics at all for a metal kit. Same thing with guitars, foam of some sort around the cabs and one mic. This is one genre of music where you actually want very little room sound. You can add ambiance later with a nice room reverb on the master once you get to mixing.

Room treatment. I do alot of metal myself so I think I know what you are looking for. You want that tight in-your-face sound and room treatment is the way to go. Get hold of as many quality mics as you can. A lot of folks have different ways of capturing drums using 3 mics and such, but this is metal and you need as tight a sound as you can get. I would go for the standard 2 overheads and try my best to get everything its own mic and be careful of phase issues. It takes time to get that punchy tight metal drum sound. Put some kind of sound absorbing material around your kit. I wouldn't bother with room mics at all for a metal kit. Same thing with guitars, foam of some sort around the cabs and one mic. This is one genre of music where you actually want very little room sound. You can add ambiance later with a nice room reverb on the master once you get to mixing.

mmk that sounds simple enough the way I record drums now is with 7 mics for my overheads I use the xy position but for the room treat ment could you suggest a cheap method but nice and effective way of going about this instead of paying a bunch of money for foam?

Quilts, comforters, pillows, carpet, rugs, anything cushy and soft would help. Also pick a small room to use. The idea would be a room that's barely big enough for you and your drums.

when recording guitar if you are close mic'ing it would it really make a difference if you were in small room or a big room?

It does. You may not hear it good at first, but when you start to squash it up with compressors and such you will start hearing that room in it.

Same as drums, Small room, close mic, isolate the cab as best you can. Also, there is always the option to record direct if you have a decent modeling amp/effect unit. I wouldn't have advised direct a few years ago but the technology is getting really good. Another thing to do is to layer multiple tracks together for a fatter sound. I use four tracks for rythem guitar myself. Two panned left and two panned right. Takes a tight player though to keep it together.

Same as drums, Small room, close mic, isolate the cab as best you can. Also, there is always the option to record direct if you have a decent modeling amp/effect unit. I wouldn't have advised direct a few years ago but the technology is getting really good. Another thing to do is to layer multiple tracks together for a fatter sound. I use four tracks for rythem guitar myself. Two panned left and two panned right. Takes a tight player though to keep it together.

thanks alot man

Please tell me that's a typo. Or that you forgot to end the sentence with a period. :eek:

wow dude I can't believe I use 7 mics for overheads what a know it all I am .. lol yea I meant I use 7 mics total with two of then being overheads

Last edited:
Back