how to get that "mastered" sound?

SpeedKing9

Hey all. I just recorded all the tracks for my band's first song, and it's at the stage where the sound quality isn't all that bad, but it doesn't have that "mastered" sound. What do I have to do to achieve this? I'm still learning all about home recording, so any tips would be great! I'm using Cakewalk. What exactly is done during the mastering stage and what do I need to achieve this?

Sounds like you're probably not ready for "real" mastering yet. Unless you plan on releasing a CD or sending the song (as a true demo) in to a label you should save your money for now.

In the interim, go to http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/ozoneguide.html and download their mastering guide. It's aimed toward use of their product (Izotope Ozone) but has a lot of good tips you could use now.

For those interested - Izotope also has a new download at the above site about dithering. If it's anything like the mastering guide it should be good. It has soundfile examples too.

No I don't work for Izotope :D .

DD

I master my own stuff but back before I was doing it....... If I wanted to see how it will sound mastered... I would just add some mix compression and a bit of the L1 Maximizer... maybe a tad of Mix Eq....

It approximates the sound... But real mastering at a mastering house is best.

Joe

Just as a head's up, it's not considered good eitquette around here to post the same question in multiple forums. It tends to tick people off.

Back