How to get that amazing midrange?

Terra

Scholarly Gentleman
I'm interested in you all's input:

You know when your listening to a track where the midrange is just spot on? The track seems louder, and it has more emotion.

What are some techniques you all use when dealing with the midrange?
What are your philosophies when you are mixing that midrange?

Personally, I get really hung up in the low end, and I tend to almost forget about the midrange and top end.

I understand eq is essential to get all the elements to fit right, what else do you all use?

Thanks!
Tyler

I personally don't think a good sounding midrange is a processing issue.

Good midrange, in my opinion, comes from a good microphone, not to mention a good sounding source. Hardware (preamps, etc) can have an impact as well but I would site the first two as the biggest factors.

Having a good sounding room is also pretty key to "greatness" because even if the aforementioned factors are perfectly executed, a bad room can mud up the situation pretty quickly, creating unnecessary peaks and dips in the response of the recording. Because standing waves in average sized recording spaces usually occur in the low end, this can offset the fidelity of the midrange big time. Clarity will therefore be compromised.

Cheers :)

I'm interested to hear some responses as well. I'm considering getting a 2nd set of monitors to go with my vxt6s. Possibly some HS50s.

The real trick is recording something that has great midrange and just stay out of its way.

Back