how to get rid of delay between midi recording

TunaTheFish

is there any way of getting rid of the delay there is when i try and record. Basicly when i press a key on my keyboard it takes a short amount of time before the computer reads it ( by short i mean really short but it makes a big differencr when trying to record) so when i try and record over an audio track whatever i play on the keyboard comes up a few mili seconds later with the audio backing and sounds crap!
is there any way of getting rid of this?

This is latency (sp?), or the delay of sound after hitting a key. When you hit the keys on your keyboard, information (midi messages) is sent to Cubase (the computer) and then back to the interface, into your keyboard, and out to your speakers or headphones; you can see why there's a delay in the sound. Depending on your interface, you may be able to use direct monitoring. This allows you to hear the keyboard without the delayed sound. Basically, it bypasses the sound from the data transfer to and from the computer and allows you only to hear the sound from the interface (keyboard), hence the term "direct" monitoring is used. I happen to use the Tascam US-122 MIDI/Audio interface which has this feature.

If your interface does not have direct monitoring, take a look at the owners manual for your particular interface. It will probably have some information on reducing latency.

A little more on this question....

Sampler said:
This is latency (sp?), or the delay of sound after hitting a key. When you hit the keys on your keyboard, information (midi messages) is sent to Cubase (the computer) and then back to the interface, into your keyboard, and out to your speakers or headphones; you can see why there's a delay in the sound. Depending on your interface, you may be able to use direct monitoring. This allows you to hear the keyboard without the delayed sound. Basically, it bypasses the sound from the data transfer to and from the computer and allows you only to hear the sound from the interface (keyboard), hence the term "direct" monitoring is used. I happen to use the Tascam US-122 MIDI/Audio interface which has this feature.

If your interface does not have direct monitoring, take a look at the owners manual for your particular interface. It will probably have some information on reducing latency.

If using the US-122, doesn't direct monitoring only allow you to hear audio going into the unit? Therefore, if you're using a controller to get sound from a VSti with a midi cable only, the delay is inevitable. I think what you can do is use direct monitoring for a sound generated by the keyboard (only if your controller is also a synth) but to hear the actual VSti sound there will always be a delay because of the midi interface.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, somebody.

JD

Yes, you're keyboard must have sounds of it's own to use direct monitoring (thanks for pointing that out!). Make your regular MIDI connections (MIDI OUT from keyboard to MIDI IN on interface; MIDI IN from keyboard to MIDI OUT on interface), and then connect the output(s) of your keyboard to the analog inputs on the interface (you must have a MIDI AND audio interface in order to do this). This will allow you to hear what you're playing without a delayed response.

I'm having this same problem, my keyboard is an M-Audio Radium 61, no sounds of it sown obviously. Can I overcome the delay with this setup (I'm using the MIDI inputs on my Audigy 2 Z5 soundcard)

Back