How to get music heard?

240v

Super Perfectionist
Hi,

How can I get my song out there? I feel like I'm making some good stuff, but it's not reaching it's full potential in terms of publicity. If there are any tips you guys have it would be great to know. Thanks :)

To start with I'd find 10 people that REALLY like your music and encourage them to spread the word often and consistently. How you encourage them to spread the word often and consistently is up to and will require your creativity. But a big part of this nowadays is creating this snowball effect.

Hi,

How can I get my song out there? I feel like I'm making some good stuff, but it's not reaching it's full potential in terms of publicity. If there are any tips you guys have it would be great to know. Thanks :)

You are up against it. In case you haven't noticed, the internet is probably around 70% p0rn, 29% people trying to promote their "music" to a 100% disinterested cyber-public, and 1% useful information. The gigging world is 100% over-saturated with local bands. There are more bands than places to play and the club owners and promoters hold all the cards now. And if you do manage to draw any kind of crowd, they don't know how to listen to live music anymore. Best you can do is like already mentioned, just get your friends and family involved and just have fun with it. Forget about being "discovered". That shit ended in the 90's.

here's my advice:

first, lower your expectations - no fame, fortune thinking allowed. in lieu of trying to find 'that audience,' focus on connecting with other musicians at your level. a simple email saying 'hey, i really liked your albums/track/etc.!' goes a long way. who listens to a ton of music? musicians, of course! and they likely have a small number of fans, and they'd maybe even share your sounds among their circles.

promote yourself to blogs, have a couple social media accounts, but don't get lost in it. you can chase a large, traditional fan base, but - without heavy financial backing - it's HARD and requires a ton of energy. and wouldn't you rather be making music anyway? unless this is your full time job, a small, dedicated fan base is likely the best you can hope for.

I don't know what scale you're talking about, but get in with the local radio hosts.

Send them your record, email them, and get about 20 people to text in over a week or two.
If you're lucky enough you'll get on the air live if your music suits.

Gig like crazy! It's hard work sometimes, but just do it.
If you get on the air to talk and you have nothing to talk about but yourself, it won't sound good.
Get in with local events. Even if you're only playing at them, you promote it like it's yours.
That makes you seem important/connected.

If you do get on air, be personable. Make 'friends'. Get phone numbers.

Send them promos before anyone else gets them and make that clear with an official release date.

It's small scale, but it gets you started.
That's about where I am with Pete, but it's working.

We did this with his last record and he got in live with about 4 hosts.
We sent out his Christmas single this week by mail and already one of the hosts has txt him to ask for more information about it!

BUT if your record doesn't fit with the stuff on the radio, scrap all of the above and start there!

All of the other advice here is tip top though. If this is your bread and butter, forget it.
Get some real bread and butter, then pursue this as your fun thing on the side.

by your profile you're 14 years old. Great age. Have fun with life, but not too much.

Given your age you have a much better chance than most of us old people on this message board. We don’t want to admit it but it’s a young guys game.

Justin Bieber got discovered after posting his stuff on youtube. Yeah, I know there are a million Biebers posting on youtube. If nothing else you might get a date or two out of it, if you do it right and it looks and sounds good, it can’t hurt.

It will give you experience chopping video and making a music. Get your bored friends to put down the Xbox and help. Who knows you might come up with something good that goes viral.

lots and lots of hard work, setting specific goals. To get to the professional status, takes a lot of work and someone with business know how (used to be the label did this for you). Research for local mags, podcast, internet radio stations, and internet sites that let you sell your music, CDbaby, Itunes, etc. you might think of upgrading to get more promotion from them. You should already have a press kit, and professional looking artwork together though.
Try to play as many shows/events you can get booked at. Network with other bands, including and especially with bands that have already made it. Don't get discouraged, just keep plugging away. Also look to promoting your music in other countries. get your music reviewed by professional producers/mix engineers/mastering engineers. sometimes these guys have an in with certain labels or contacts that can help out. You need to be a bit aggressive, and be sure and set specific goals.. like this month I am going to get these 4 songs finished and the mix polished, by this date I am going to start working on finding the right up and coming artist to help me put my artwork together and finished withing the next 3 months. I am going to send my EP to these 10 music mags that can review local talent, or unsigned talent.... with quality press kit. the list goes on and on.

Networking through contacts, is a good way to get your music out there. i.e. Wes with Puddle Of Mudd got his songs into the hands of Fred Durst ( Limp Bizkit).
Negative attitude stops most though. Give it your all including spending money to get backstage for shows with bands that play in your genre, step up introduce yourself to the band members, let em know your playing and recording. looking to make a living at it.

The most important thing to getting your music out there (besides having great music, of course) is understanding your BRAND. Music is still a business. You must know who you are as an artist. What do you look like, sound like, etc. What are the "rules" governing how you conduct yourself, what is your message, why should I listen to you, what does your music mean to me, and why do you stand out from everyone else, etc. There are a lot of people out there who might have a pretty song, but you need the whole package and need to sell yourself. Create a legend, an experience for your product. Give people a reason to check you out. I think in terms of a virus. You must make yourself catchy and interesting. I'm not saying to resort to gimmicks, but what I'm saying is to really sit down and think what makes you special, what is your trademark, because everyone has one (except Kesha and Justin Bieber, hahahaha, jk) and THAT is what you must sell to get your music out there. And once you know who you are as an artist, then you will do MUCH better when you put your music on Facebook, Youtube, etc. because you will have direction and know who your target audience is. Check out marketing books. There are TONS of people putting music out every day, but there is only one you. YOU are the key to getting more publicity. Best wishes!

Back