How to fix a crappy tone

Lopp

Ya know, I don't care how long you've been recording. I don't care about how anal you are about your speaker mic'ing techniques...

Don't ever assume that everything is set up the same as the night before. Especially if you have a stupid cat.

In particular, you may record a killer guitar track. Then using the same amp, but a different setting, doubled the track. Then using the same amp, laid down some killer leads.

Then you sit down to mix it and get the levels all nice relative to each other. Everything may sound soooo ballsy. Then you mix it down and burn a CD to check on other systems. Something might not be right.

Everything may be ballsy, but there is no brightness. Sure, the cymbals cut through, but there's something missing.

So you go and remix by reducing the bass guitar. Remix, etc. Sounds better. Still huge sounding, but very dull.

So you go and remix, reduce the bass again. Remix, sounds better, bass is a little absent, but it is just not a crisp mix.

So you go to remix and look over at your mic'ed cabinet.

The damn cat had knocked the mic out of place.

No wonder the guitars sounded huge but muddy.

Time to re-record all the guitar parts.

Not that that's ever happened to me.
:rolleyes:

Cats hear things in a completely different frequency - he was probably trying to set it up so it sounded better for his little ears :p

See, if you were using a J-Station you could just plug in and go. Maybe it's not the "best" sound (although I'm very happy with mine), but it's a consistent sound.

arjun said:
cats suck

You are wrong ...

Gaffa tape the cat to the guitar amp, on axis. You may have to experiment with positioning.

Get an XLR lead, and stick it in the cat's a$$.

Connect the other end to the mixer. Switch on phantom power. Ignore the howling, it will become part of your "sound".

Position mic as usual ...

Now try re-recording your guitar part, with it set on 11. Or maybe 12.

The cat will learn.

:)

Mike

64Firebird said:
See, if you were using a J-Station you could just plug in and go. Maybe it's not the "best" sound (although I'm very happy with mine), but it's a consistent sound.

Yep......

Damn. Now I've got to sell my Mesa/Boogie TriAxis and Quad to get a J-Station. Do you think a shop will take them in trade?

Then again, maybe I'll try the XLR in the cat's butt technique.

mjbee said:
You are wrong ...

Gaffa tape the cat to the guitar amp, on axis. You may have to experiment with positioning.

Get an XLR lead, and stick it in the cat's a$$.

Connect the other end to the mixer. Switch on phantom power. Ignore the howling, it will become part of your "sound".

Position mic as usual ...

Now try re-recording your guitar part, with it set on 11. Or maybe 12.

The cat will learn.

Mike

Screw the phantom power, plug it right into the wall.

64Firebird said:

hear hear...I bought these cheap boom mic stands, and the damn things eventually get vibrated out of place, as well the fucking things keep tilting down. No amount of tape, wire, coathangers and shit keeps them in place. I am learning to record direct, and be happy (and not get evicted).

My last cat liked to play guitar. With his teeth. What a trip.

My dog will wake care of your cat problem,, He did for the neighbors,,,, That was a fun day:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Running around with my robe flopping open in front of the neighbors wife trying to get my dog's to drop a cat that was almost totaly ripped in half....

Cat came into our yard by the way
:p :confused: :eek:

F.S.

Back