How to find the tempo of my composition

asterix12

Ok it probably sound really noob, but I have a problem.
When I record I do not use a metronome and I just play what ever is in my head. It sound good. But the problem is I do not put any metronome.
I do have a beat calculator tap tempo in my DAW, I tap to find the beat but it's not right quite right. Do I have to tap for a minute?
Is there a application that can find my tempo while I play my midi keyboard. Or any tips would be welcome.
Or some exercises I can do to practice?

Thanks

Why do you not play with a metronome? Play with a click, and go from there. If you wish to play without a click, then you could try Cubase tempo detection after , but it is pretty much worthless from my experience. Why do you need something to find tempo, if you do not already know what it is? Just curious.

This is Songwriting 101 stuff.....sorry.

I just don't get how anyone can write a song and play it, and not know the basics like tempo, time signnature, key....
You're not the only one, I've seen other folks too.

Tap your foot and count for 1 minute...that's BPM (Beats Per Minute) aka "tempo".

Why do you not play with a metronome? Play with a click, and go from there. If you wish to play without a click, then you could try Cubase tempo detection after , but it is pretty much worthless from my experience. Why do you need something to find tempo, if you do not already know what it is? Just curious.

If I know the tempo. When I record I can be more close to the right beat. It will save me time to do my manual quantize (put notes on the right beat)

This is Songwriting 101 stuff.....sorry.

I just don't get how anyone can write a song and play it, and not know the basics like tempo, time signnature, key....
You're not the only one, I've seen other folks too.

Tap your foot and count for 1 minute...that's BPM (Beats Per Minute) aka "tempo".

Don't worry, I don't event know what key I press. Is it a Do, La, Ré. I don't really care.

Don't worry, I don't event know what key I press. Is it a Do, La, Ré. I don't really care.

There is software out there that will beat detect, but it will average it. So, to get everything to line up you will have to do some time correction. As everyone has stated, you really need to learn to record with either a click, or get some drum loops to use (I seem to struggle with pure clicks, but drum loops seem easier). If you don't get it started right, your recordings are going to require a lot of work to get them to sound right.

Back