how to EQ a wolfy bass?

dontouch

I recorded a bass line DI but it sounds very "wolfy". Is there a way to make it more smooth/roundish sounding? It's not a bass solo or anything, just uptempo root notes.

Lol. I thought I've heard every term to describe sound. Wolfy is a new one.

Can you post an mp3? Maybe cut the higher frequencies.

Which part of the howl does it sound like? The "Aaaaaahhhhh" or the Oooooooowwwwww"?

Which part of the howl does it sound like? The "Aaaaaahhhhh" or the Oooooooowwwwww"?

i think u guys know he probably means wooly :-) Sweep between 100 and 200 with a parametric with a decent boost, using your ears identifying the trouble area then try a strategic cut. A lot of times thats where the bloom and wooly stuff lives. Could also be buildup between 200 and 300 from many instruments that is making for an indisinct bass sound.

i think u guys know he probably means wooly :-) Sweep between 100 and 200 with a parametric with a decent boost, using your ears identifying the trouble area then try a strategic cut. A lot of times thats where the bloom and wooly stuff lives. Could also be buildup between 200 and 300 from many instruments that is making for an indisinct bass sound.

You must be a real riot at parties. :eek:

Hey smart-aleks, "wolfy" is a legit term for describing it. It is descriptive of wolf tones. Doesn't really apply to a DI'd bass per se, but it's probably close.

I use EQ or comp, or both to deal with it. A surgical multiband comp like Voxengo soniformer can work great. Or using some sort of spectral display to help see the exact offending frequencies to carve out if your ears/monitors aren't cutting it.

Smart-aleks who obviously do not use WIKI. lol

We really cant discuss a word that describes a sound. Futile. Post a clip, or forever be lost in phonetics....

Just sayin.....

wow rami - i'm not some kind of humorless douchebag if that is what you are getting at. either way i learned something on this thread - which is always cool.

Chuck, I think it would safe to not take pretty much anything I say seriously. :)

Chuck, I think it would safe to not take pretty much anything I say seriously. :)

vice versa :-) my rig was dead for a week until yesterday and i was kind of wandering around aimlessly making random comments on lots of stuff and (unintentionally) irritating people. gear is back in order now - so i can get back to what its all about.

Smart-aleks who obviously do not use WIKI. lol

We really cant discuss a word that describes a sound. Futile. Post a clip, or forever be lost in phonetics....

Just sayin.....

Again, the word "wolfy" is used enough by string players (of which I am one) that we know what it describes. No one is lost in phonetics.

Back